Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1400B backhoe’s hydraulic pump driveshaft replacement

johnowenschina ยท 2021-09-29 07:36

I have both the Operator's Manual and the Service Manual, but it does not show how to remove and replace the drive shaft. It's pretty tight and I cannot reach where the shaft attaches to the pump. The engine connection side is already apart but it doesn't come off the shaft of the pump. I read on this forum that there is a set screw but I cannot reach it. Do I need to pull the pump out of the front? It is accessible from the front grill. Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1Vetech632021-09-29 07:50

    Like it or not, you are gong to have to pull whatever is necessary to gain the access you need.

  2. #2johnowenschina2021-09-29 09:54

    Yes, of course I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this particular task, like can the driveshaft even be pulled through the hole where the pump is mounted, or do I need to find a way to disconnect the shaft from the other side first. Since I will need to cut one of the pump's mounting bolts (seized) I don't want to do that if it will not help anyway.

  3. #3casey5182021-11-07 22:41

    I just reached in from the side with a wrench when I rebuilt my pump. Mine was a keyed shaft and the set screw tightened down on the key itself.

  4. #4Coytee2021-11-08 07:34

    I have a 1550B so mine might be different (??) I didn't notice any set screw when I removed (from the crank) the bolts so I could compress the shaft to install a new fan belt. I would think it's a LOT of extra work to take it out from the front HOWEVER, it would probably give you more 'elbow room'. (I've had my radiator and oil cooler out but it was probably 10 years ago) If I were to remove the pump, I'd certainly have to give that direction some thought simply because of the extra room you have (more work to remove the other things blocking it though) Not a fun job.....wear old clothes!

  5. #5GILBERT SILVA2023-09-20 14:57

    I HAVE A MODEL 1400B 1988 AND I PULLED MY PUMP WITH PART OF THE YOKE STILL ATTACHED THERE IS A PLACE FOR A KEYWAY BUT NO KEYWAY I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REMOVE THE YOKE FROM THE PUMP WORKING ON IT FOR A WEEK NOW ABOUT READY TO CUT IT OFF. I'VE TRIED USING A PULLER HEAT WON'T BUDGE ANY HELP WOULD BE WELCOME.

  6. #6casey5182023-09-20 16:53

    If it is a Brown/Hayworth pump the yoke should have a key with a set screw securing it in place. The set screw has to be loosened in order to remove the yoke. The input shaft is in the back left here. You can see it has a keyway.