My Case TV450 needs a new HPFP and the dealer wants $3,800 for the reman part and $3,100 in labor to replace it. Is that the going rate these days or am I being robbed?
Try googling the Case, or better yet the Bosch part number. A possibility someone like Diesel Pro might have it without the dealer markup. But you will need to find an independent to install. Edit possibly this one https://mydieselpro.com/product/5801470100r-case-new-holland-skid-steer-fuel-injection-pump/
That sure looks like it, nice find! Any idea how difficult the install is?
Yeah, not really that hard. .. . But will likely need to run a pump relearn with Cnh software. Edit again. after you create access to the pump. It is a case after all
Have they 100% confirmed that the HPFP is the culprit. Have they tested flow? Does it just need the metering valve or has it self destructed and sent trash downstream to the injectors. Speaking of injectors, have they split and measured return flow? Cuz that's a real expensive, " I think this should do it." When it might be a single injector. Good luck.
Actually, I'd be curious how they arrived at that diagnosis from a 3089 code.(from your other thred)
They tested the pump and it had very low pressure, I can’t remember exactly what the guy said on the phone but he did say it was pretty obviously the problem. I have no idea if they looked at anything else but I will ask tomorrow.
The field tech said it had a dozen or so codes logged from a very recent event, certainly more than I saw on the screen. He said it was so many that he thought maybe an ECM issue.
Common rail requires a little more testing to find the root cause. No pump builds pressure, it produces flow in opposition to restriction. If an injector is failed, mechanically, the fuel from rail dumps straight back to tank. No restriction, no pressure . That's why I asked the question. Just be clear with the service writer, I don't wanna hear after the pump is in that i need injectors. I know nothing of your symptoms, but these are the questions I ask to avoid costly reworks.
No idea what your rates are but that works out to over 22 hours of labour in my neck of the woods. Nearly 3 full work days seems a bit excessive to me to replace an injection pump. Maybe there's something more to it that I'm not seeing.
Yeah, whats missing is the shop supplies that include the Vaseline and the disposal fee!
Multiple Codes would have me thinking a wiring harness fault. I wonder how he came to the conclusion of a possible bad ECM.?
I'm thinking major work to access the pump. These machines are stacked full. . .
I called another local dealer, and they said $1,400 in labor and $1,900 for the part. The service gentleman told me the book said it was a 7.5hr job to pull and replace. I'm going to call the dealer back that has the machine and make sure we don't have a major misunderstanding. If they aren't budging, then I'm going to have it hauled to the other dealer.
I'd count on it being 1.5x book time.
If that dealer is clearly padding the bill that much, I think a call to Case corporate is in order. Who else are they doing it to?? Have heard of crooked service advisors/shops getting kickbacks and/or bonuses for bringing more work in in the form of overcharging unsuspecting customers.
It is definitely time for a sit down with the service manager if not the store manager as well.
Just wanted to provide an update: I asked for the part number that the original dealer was using when coming up with the $3,800 part cost, and when I googled that part number it turned out to be an entire fuel system reman kit that included the HPFP, injectors, high pressure rail, tubing, fittings, etc. I called the service manager back, and after walking him through the results of my googling, he agreed that he had input the wrong part number and admitted that he was new to his role. After chasing the correct part number, he said the part cost would be $1,900 and labor would be $1,700. I went ahead and told him to get it ordered and installed.
It's terrible when the parts people don't have a clue and you have to look up stuff to tell them they're wrong.
What would be worse, is what if he had okayed the work and when the whole system showed up, would they have just installed the HPFP and put the rest of the parts on the shelf and charged him full price.
I think that happens more than people think. Nobody wants to admit they either screwed up or don't know what they're doing. They'll make up some excuse the other parts were also needed. Along the same lines as service advisors saying you need repairs that you don't.
It also doesn’t help that most of the people behind the parts counters for everything, cars, trucks, bikes, equipment, everything, don’t have a clue what they are selling parts for anymore. Can’t even remember, the last time I had a good experience dealing with a parts counter. Just paid 320 bucks for 4 sets of hydraulic seals for my skid steer. Should have just measured them myself and ordered them online but not that knowledgeable about the types of seals.
That's why I try to find stuff local even if it costs a little more. If it's a big difference in cost I might take a gamble.
For me, every time I try and stay local, it bites me in the can. Most businesses around here are trying to make bank off every sale.
Usually the trash bin from my experience.