Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D3 code E459-2

Malingos · 2025-03-27 10:25

Hello everyone, First of all I want to thank yall for reading this tread and Any help any of you can offer. I have a CAT 299D3 with code E459-2 Powers on but doesn’t start. I have checked all fuses and relays under the cab and all are good. I am not familiar with this unit and any advice or wiring schematic is much appreciated.

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2025-03-27 11:44

    I suggest that you use the forum search function using E459 as the "keyword". HeavyEquipmentForums Read through all of the many threads that have been posted on the subject, try all the more common fixes, and if that failes come back with any more questions you may have. There are no less than 12 different models of 299D3 and some of them have breaks in the S/N range with different electrical schematics above/below the break. To identify the correct one for your machine will require a Serial Number.

  2. #2Simon C2025-03-27 11:48

    I think you have the dreaded E459 code as Nige said. You may need to think about building a good 2-5 amp test light as you will probably need to be testing some harnesses. Read all you can on the link he posted would be a very good idea. Simon C

  3. #3Malingos2025-03-27 11:51

    I added a picture of the machine serial number. I was checking thru the relays and when I moved the ECM relay, the fault went away and engine started but seems inconsistent.

  4. #4Nige2025-03-27 11:54

    I think it’s maybe time to create a sticky thread for E459-2, with links to every thread (and the fixes, some of which were pretty off-the-wall engine wiring harness faults) that has ever been posted on the subject. That way we wouldn’t have to keep re-inventing the wheel every time a new member comes along with this problem. To the OP. What was the lead up to the problem.? Has the machine been giving problems for a while then just quit or did it quit while operating as though someone turned off the key then up popped the E459.? Engine wiring harness fault somewhere is my bet based on those symptoms.

  5. #5Malingos2025-03-27 11:57

    I believe that’s is a great idea Nigel. I was told this machine had been down for about a month. They were using it and all of the sudden it just wouldn’t start. So seems that the fix to my problem is a loose connection on the ECU relay, it’s running now without any issues.

  6. #6Nige2025-03-27 12:03

    Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic for your S/N. PLEASE read all the threads on E459. There are some simple basic fixes related to engine ground connections that you may not be aware of. In fact the integrity & tightness of ALL the ground connections is the first thing you should check.

  7. #7Malingos2025-03-27 12:12

    I have checked all grounds that I could see and found others that where hard to get to. This machine is actually super clean under cab and engine bay, all ground are tight and clean (have good connection). I will check relay contacts and test the relay.

  8. #8Nige2025-03-27 12:34

    I'll guarantee you haven't found them all. Some are only accessible with the cab, raised for example. Does the Engine ECM have a small braided ground strap fixed to one of the mounting bolts.? If you can jiggle things around and the contacts come and go then my bet would be on the harness.

  9. #9Malingos2025-03-27 17:20

    turns out that the ECU relay was overheating and sticking. Replaced it and all works just fine, tested the relay and it failed 3 times but then also tested good several times. Installed a new one and hasn’t failed anymore. Thank you for the help and I have saved the wiring schematic, it will come in handy.

  10. #10Nige2025-03-27 17:24

    OK, so now we have another failure mode to add to the list.........

  11. #11Malingos2025-03-27 17:33

    Yes sir, this codes is like the dreaded 559 fuel system code for Cummins… it can be many things….lol I greatly appreciate your help Nige, please tag me on the list you end up making it would definitely be great to have.

  12. #12Cmark2025-03-27 19:16

    The fact that the fault calls itself "Rated Horsepower Output Changed" tends to throw people in a loop. Actually, the machine ECM is trying to talk to the engine ECM and if it can't, an E459 code comes up. Most of the time it's because the engine ECM isn't powered up. Unless you've recently changed the engine ECM, interpret an E459 as "Engine ECM not awake" and start checking powers and grounds as suggested above.