Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

6 wheel skid

Twisted ยท 2008-06-30 14:48

As I was driving across South Dakota last weekend, I saw a skid steer looking mackine with 3 wheels on each side. It was off in the distance 4-500 yards so I couldn't get a close look. Looked repainted a bright yellow & no decals to speak of. Any Idea what it is/was?

Replies9
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-06-30 15:17

    Yes, but I cant for the life of me remember what we called them :Banghead Didn't the Banana Splits run a couple of them Agri-Cat :yup new it would come to me if I didn't push it. Thinking about it the Banana Splits were 8 wheels ( I think )

  2. #2Tigerotor77W2008-06-30 22:15

    Older machine? Or newer? Melroe produced a six-wheel dozer a while back (i.e. 70s or 80s)

  3. #3shane2008-07-01 00:12

    Oh yah..... Bobcat made a Model 1213 Feller-Buncher 6-wheel skid steer, very few I'm told, and I've never seen one. Looks like an old 970 with six wheels.

  4. #4Twisted2008-07-01 07:23

    By the shape of the it looked to be an older machine. It also had loader arms & not just a dozer. Well, anyway, I had never saw one before & it caught my interest. Twisted

  5. #5Dwan Hall2008-07-01 11:22

    Could it have looked like this?

  6. #6Twisted2008-07-01 13:55

    Well I guess it could have. Like I said I was some distance away & at hiway speed. It did not have a shear on it though. Not sure but there may not have been anny attachments on it. Could have had the shear off & it was just parked. So what is that contraption that your drawing shows? Is it the Bobcat 1213?

  7. #7Dwan Hall2008-07-01 16:33

    Bobcat 1213 it is directly from there parts/service manual yes it is a 1213.

  8. #8Alan2008-07-01 22:15

    The Banana Splits were playing with Amphicat, 6 wheeled, amphibious ATVs. I had one back in the early 70s, fantastic rig for a duck hunter in beaver pond country. Would carry two men in some really mucky terrain but came up a bit short on power on hills. Rode like a big marshmallow at speed, just kinda kerwhoomped along at 30-35. Buddy of mine flopped my rig doing sideslides on pavement where there was some sand on the asphalt. I tried to tell him that if he caught clean pavement it was gonna go over. He did, and it did, cracked a couple of his ribs. Weak point was the tires, they were just thick inner tubes, no cord in them and they were vulcanized to an integral wheel. Instead of airing them up to a pressure you wrapped a tape around them and inflated to a diameter, 63" IIRC. Came out to something like 3 PSI.

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-07-02 15:01

    Thanks Alan. Bet theres a lot of folk asking what the * R Banana Splits Sounds like you used to have some wild times. :drinkup