Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

** 60 hydraulic pump question

Delmer ยท 2017-05-22 09:05

Does anybody have enough experience with the Massey Ferguson hydraulic system know if it's supposed to squeal when a function is bottomed out? Supposedly it's a load sensing axial piston pump, but I haven't found much more info than that. I'm looking at this for a friend to purchase and that was the only thing that stuck out at me as maybe not right. Some of the valve linkages were rusty and stiff if that makes any difference.

Replies4
  1. #1Junkyard2017-05-22 09:54

    I used to work on a lot of older Massey stuff. Have one tore apart in the shop now (eyeroll). How obnoxious is the squeal? You'll hear some as it's basically hitting relief. Oil fairly clean? There's a triangle shaped cover on the bottom that houses the filter, just a metal screen. If you wanted to see what things really looked like you could drain oil, take the three bolts out and see what the screen looked like. Little smaller than a pop can. Pumps aren't bad to change or that expensive to rebuild if it's a little flakey. If it doesn't have remotes it's easy to plumb a gauge it and see what pressure you're hitting when it talks back to you. If the price is right I wouldn't be scared of it. I have a manual I can send pages of if your friend buys it. Those linkages get stiff sitting out and not being used. Junkyard

  2. #2Delmer2017-05-22 11:45

    Thanks, I didn't know if it should hit the relief or not. I'm familiar with gear pumps, or JD radial piston pumps that don't squeal, so I'd have to study up on this one to see just how it's supposed to operate. I'll tell him to go ahead with it if that seems normal to you. The fluids were perfect, but we didn't drain the tank. $6k, everything is serviceable except one brake (master cylinder), one outrigger cylinder is leaking bad but the rod looks good, the other outrigger rod is scratched but dry, a couple of other cylinders are damp, and the backhoe bucket linkage is egged out, and the front bucket is rusted out in the inside corners. Engine and transmission seem as good as could be expected. Overall, it's far from perfect, but the cobbling hasn't gotten too bad yet, just wait till I start goobering on that backhoe bucket though.

  3. #3Junkyard2017-05-22 15:11

    There were a couple variations of those. Some did have a front pump. Some had the pump in the belly and a front pump. I had tractor on the brain. Even so the pumps aren't bad to rebuild if needed. Very similar to a JD. The backhoes and tractors had a lot of common parts until you got into the hoe itself. I'll see if the old man remembers all the details on them.

  4. #4Junkyard2017-05-22 15:18

    He called it a slipper pump, says some of that noise is not unusual for them especially with some wear and hours on them. Parts are easy to find and it's an easy fix if ever needed. He's dealt with ** since the 60's so he's my go to on them. Good luck