Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

60” skid steer brush mower

Dnewell · 2019-05-24 09:32

I’ve been looking into mowers for my bobcat 773g. I realize it’s a little underpowered, but can really benefit from a mower, mowing right of ways for the water district I work for. All has been mowed before, and I’ll just be maintaining them from here on out. I’ve been recommended a 60” cut mower due to my lack of power. But that seems like it would be very frustrating due to it won’t cover my tracks. Most companies other than a select few that I’ve found offer 60,72, and 78” cut. My questions are why don’t more companies make a 66” cut width? I may be wrong but 60” cut isn’t going to cover hardly any machines tracks right? But 66” would cover a bunch of midsized machines with the flow rate required. Next question is, will I be disappointed in a 72” cut? Going slower isn’t a problem, as I’ll be paid by the hour. So more money for me plus if I ever upgrade my loader I don’t want to have to buy a mower too. Am I missing something and just thinking wrong on the 60” cut mowers? I do plan on renting/demoing a mower before I make any purchases. Thanks in advance, I really enjoy all the advice on this forum.

Replies5
  1. #1DIYDAVE2019-05-24 19:52

    A lot of the parts for these mowers are common to what's known as a bush hog, in the Ag world. For better or worse, they come in 4, 5, 6, 7, 8' sizes, that's the way of the world. If the RB specs I just read are right, yours has a 46 hp motor, that should be adequate to run a 72" in my book. For the record, I run a home-made 4' mower, on my ASV-RC30, and it handles it just fine. I doubt you will be in a race, while mowing, so go for it. One thing I would do, though, is to get the hyd specs, of your machine (aux flow and pressure) and have them handy, when you go to spec which machine, to rent...

  2. #2KSSS2019-05-24 21:10

    Those machines are low on power and have poor aux hyd performance, but given what your doing, I also agree that you would be fine to go out to 72". Going slower will help, keep blades sharp will also help.

  3. #3JakeWalts2021-03-09 13:43

    Guys, I have a small area with a lawn in the backyard and I want to know if I can use a string trimmer instead of a lawn mower? It's a multi-functional tool and costs less, so I'll be able to save money. Actually, I read a review of string trimmers on https://homendgarden.com/best-cordless-string-trimmer/ and think it's a great garden tool. Besides, it works much quieter than a lawn mower and I will be able to take care of the garden at any time without disturbing the neighbors. Anyway, I'd like to know your opinion on this issue. If you use a string trimmer, please tell me if it's worth buying.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2021-03-09 20:17

    If I were doing a small area, I'd consider a small battery powered mower, get one that you can use the same battery, as a same brand battery weed eater. I think ryobi makes an 18 or 24V set up that should do what you want. Why NOT use a weed eater to cut your lawn? No way of controlling height, scalps too much. the more you scalp, the more weeds will find their way into your lawn. If you have a warm season grass, like bermuda or zoysia, that tolerates lower mowing, Fiskars has a dandy little flywheel assisted reel mower, that quiet and needs no batteries... After watching the video, below and seeing that it can be raised up as high as 4", that is definitely the way I, personally would go... By the way, welcome to the forum!

  5. #5ThreeCW2021-03-10 23:17

    It looks like this thread on skid steer brush mowers has been HIJACKED!! JakeWalts - It is best to start your own thread in an applicable section rather than jumping onto this thread. You may be able to change your rims on your skid steer to a different offset to achieve a 60” outside wheel measure instead of your present 66”. When I bought my CAT 242B, it was set up with the narrower 60” stance using less offset rims. The problem that I had was there was not enough room between the inner tire wall and the frame to install tire chains for snow removal. I switched to a deep dish rim (more offset) which gave me a 66” outside wheel measure and gave me plenty of room to install chains. You might want to see if this option is available for your 60” brush mower application. I notice that your 773G with 10 - 16.5 tires shows both 66” and 60” outside tire width on the spec sheet.