Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

600 ton shackle

Tiny ยท 2010-02-05 14:34

Has anyone used one of these ? ,I was in a foundry that makes these.

Replies18
  1. #1liebherr11602010-02-05 16:49

    Biggest I ever put my hand on was a 300T..its similar .. But yeah ...Dats a big one you got there ..Be using a weeeee little boom truck to put that one on ... I had a picture ..the foreman had his 5 year old Daughter sitting in the shackle nut .. forget the tonnage ..but it was big ...

  2. #2Tiny2010-02-05 17:12

    Weight 1833 lb

  3. #3cranedude072010-02-05 20:15

    Wow that's huge. Never seen a shackle that size before

  4. #4Deere John2010-02-05 20:25

    You wouldn't want to even drop the cotter pin on your foot. That must be for ship's anchors, or anchors on drill platforms or the like? It's too big to hold tire chains on the grader with.

  5. #5liebherr11602010-02-05 20:38

    A boom truck guys dream ...single line ...

  6. #695zIV2010-02-05 21:53

    Single line hell, My old Hiab wouldn't even break a sweat lifting that, take longer to get a chain out then to rig it.

  7. #7Linkbelt HC2010-02-05 22:17

    600T shackle Nice! Do you have a picture of the pin? Does a shackle of that size from your company require a 5:1 design or a 4:1 design factor

  8. #8heavylift2010-02-05 22:57

    http://awrsling.thomasnet.com/item/shackles/wide-body-shackles/pn-1608?&seo=110 600 ton shackle link...unknown if it's this shackle .... but 3' x 4'.... holy hernia batman 7.87" pin.. that even sounds heavy

  9. #9Tiny2010-02-05 23:09

    that was in a foundry we were working at but, Ultimate load is 5 times the working load limit.

  10. #10Linkbelt HC2010-02-05 23:23

    Shackle load limits I agree that the majority of the shackles used are of a 5:1 design. However, the reason I ask, I am aware that some of the Crosby "Cold Tuff" shackles 200t and larger (G-2140CT) have a minimum ultimate load of 4 times the WLL. Hence my curiosity of the design data for a 600t monster.

  11. #11liebherr11602010-02-06 12:05

    I know ..Im just ribbing the boom truck guy's thats all ..

  12. #1295zIV2010-02-06 18:04

    I know, but my Hiab didn't have a cable at all, just a hook. Drove me nuts actually, nothing like trying to put a 6 ft tall tank into a hole with a machine that only moves in arcs.

  13. #13Impact2010-02-06 18:07

    I could use that shackle to hang the truss hook on.

  14. #14willie592010-02-06 18:36

    LoL...just remember to bring the boom truck to stick the pin in it.

  15. #15liebherr11602010-02-07 13:41

    The smalest shackle's Ive seen ..first hand .. Yes they work ..screw pin style .. Maybe a pound Capacity ..but its not much ...LOL..

  16. #16gostr8r2011-06-21 19:08

    We have some 500's in the yard now but with the arrival of our 31,000 Manitowoc I think we'll see much bigger than that soon.

  17. #17gostr8r2011-06-22 08:48

    This bad boy will likely use shackles at last that big if not much larger. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/Our Manitowoc 31000 making a 5500000 pound lift/

  18. #18gostr8r2011-06-22 08:56

    I wear the smallest on I've ever seen in my left ear. It has a 69 nibble limit before I lose my load, and it's 14 carrot gold. It actually threads into the shackle body like the real deal does too. I had it custom made at the 'Gold Shop' in St. Croix USVI, when I was working there over 20 years ago. It's just barely visible in this shot tho, which was taken last summer on my m/c ride to North Pole Alaska. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums...=view&current=2nddayontheColumbiaFerry019.jpg