Hi Everyone, New here, but encountered an annoying siuation today and looking for some insight. I'm an individual owner of a 60G from 2017. I picked up the machine at auction a few years back and have been using it to help build and landscape around my in-progress DIY house build. I'm a capable DIYer, but wanted to set the stage for jargon awareness and maybe beg for a little handholding in explanations. Ribbings welcome. Anyway, I was moving some branches for a burn pile today and without any sort of bang, pop, or notable disturbance at all I found the suddenly the cab would not swing. Stick left, nothing, stick right, nothing. Every other hydraulic function works as normal. Shut down, to examine externally and much to my surprise I was began gently rotating. I am now able to spin the cab one handed if i pull on the bucket. Which leads me to wonder if my swing motor is the problem, the swing gear, or the planetary that lives between these. Any insight as to the most likely breakage and how much of a hurt my wallet is in for would be appreciated.
The swing motor has a park brake installed so it should not be able to drift through that unless the gearbox or the piston motor has had a major failure. Worst case scenario is the cost of a complete gearbox and motor replacement unit which is listed at around $10,500 USD, Motor is about 8K nil stock.
Well, that's pretty painful but in line with what I expected.. Nil stock sounds like the worst part, but i guess it's time to start calling around. I do appreciate the swift and direct response.
I know its a long shot, but just check your control valve that switches machine from JD control to CAT controls down by left foot /heel. Some how ours got switched about a 1/4 of the way between positions and half the functions worked, other half were super slow. Just to make sure someone or somehow it didn't get placed in between modes
I'll take any longshot I can. Fingers crossed, but i think Kobe is probably spot on since it swings freely when powered down.
Not sure how many people are really doing much rebuilding of their own gearboxes, but it turns out the 2nd stage planetary carrier sheared every single internal tooth. Luckily, piece parts were available in the local distribution center and i was able to get repaired and running after a couple days of waiting. Gave me a good chance to replace some of the taper bearings and inspect the rest of the hardware for cracks and damage. Slop in the swing is about 10% of what it was previously and swinging like a champ now. A little more life out of a cheap auction machine.