Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’61 D8H Direct Drive goes for a spin..

TimT ยท 2017-10-28 13:28

Before the weather goes to the dogs.. the Cat goes for a ride..

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2017-10-28 17:22

    Pretty nimble for an old block of iron!! Sounds good too!

  2. #2ol'stonebreaker2017-10-28 17:37

    How do you like the johnson bar? Mike

  3. #3td25c2017-10-28 18:47

    Looked like a great day for a cruise around on the D8 Tim ! Have ya tried the winch out yet ? Our weather tuned cold & wet all the sudden , messed us up on the finishing end of a dirt job . In south Indiana around Halloween time seen it hot & sunny and on the other end might see a little snow depending on mother natures mood swing

  4. #4TimT2017-10-28 22:20

    Hi Guys, Yep same here, today is cold and rain all day.... right off Lake Erie, you never know!... Yep the winch works, we pulled off 200' of 1 1/8" line with my tractor so I could straighten it up. It all worked as it should. It might get to do a hard pull next spring/summer if I try to clean out my pond with the TD-25.... I got some half tipped over locust trees I can rip out by the roots too... I was surprised how good the line was when we pulled it off... not rotten and rusted. Most of it was very good yet.

  5. #5td25c2017-10-28 23:02

    Sounds like we are in for a cold wet spell ... That's cool you tried out the winch on the Cat D8 & it works . My God !.... Driving around on an old Cat D8 without a ROP's cab . A deer could jump out woods & end up in your lap . LOL ! Keep up the good work Tim !

  6. #6TimT2017-10-29 16:15

    Yeah, I measured the equipment shed and found that this one would fit with inches to spare without the ROPS. I like the old school look much better anyway. This gave me a reason to take it off. It now resides next to the 1979 JD450C inside for the winter. I plan to make the ROPS into a very heavy duty outdoor work bench. Bury the legs in sackcrete add a giant vice and anvil and you have a real mans "Tim The Tool Man Taylor style" work bench right outside the shop door.