I just picked up a 1960/61 JD440 Industrial tractor with front loader and backhoe. The clutch pedal is going down with a "good feel" not sloppy or anything, but with good foot pressure but the clutch is not working. The forward/reverser works perfectly tho and all gears seem to work fine. Is there any way to get the foot clutch to work? I heard of some people putting the tractor into a dirt mound and trying to "unjam" it, but i dont want to break anything. Any help would be appreciated greatly, I ordered the manual but it wont be here for a week or so. I dont want to use the reverser lever to drive this machine because im sure its not the proper way to operate the tractor. Thanks-
I've tried a couple of times to unstick clutches but never succeeded. If you can get access to the clutch you can loosen the pressure plate bolts and put some washers between the pressure plate and flywheel, then tap on the disk to break it free. If it's stuck it's because it's rusted together (usually with mouse **** contributing) and the disk will still grab. I was never able to get it to disengage smoothly and the facing came apart. Even with the disk broken loose the clutch will still grab, and if the facing comes apart it will grab and not release so you can never trust a clutch like that. Another method is to drive it over a bumpy field with the pedal depressed and hope it pops loose.
Thanks for the response! I might just split the tractor and replace anything that is bad in the clutch while its home.