Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Issues, procedures, and cost to rebuild (remove slop) from backhoe

DualsportWA ยท 2014-11-11 12:53

Hey guys- my backhoe shopping saga continues. Still waiting to see the Case 580K that I have my eye on, test drove a Case 580 Super L, and have other units that I'll be looking at. I really liked the 580 Super L - SWEET machine! But, it looks like the backhoe saw a LOT of use and the pins and/or sockets/bores need attention. The hoe would not swing fully, had a huge bolt in place of the top swing pin, and had noticeable slop. So, some questions: - What can be done to rebuild the joints in this kind of backhoe? I realize that pins can be replaced, but what if the pin bores are worn and/or ovaled-out? Is there a bushing that can be replaced that holds the pin(s)? - What would it typically cost to rebuild the joints on a backhoe assuming there were no cracks (I realize this could be a HUGE variance in price range, but any info would be helpful) There's a low-hour JCB 214 that I may look at- sounds like the same thing - backhoe used way more than loader, so it's sloppy. Want to know what I'm getting myself into... Thanks! Gavin

Replies10
  1. #1PDG X2014-11-11 14:09

    Have not had that problem directly, but know several who have used expander pins to repair sloppy swing joints. http://www.expandersystem.com

  2. #2Dickjr.2014-11-11 16:56

    This expander system has set me to thinking. I wonder what a swing pin for a backhoe would run? Durability as well says they test them to 50,000 hours.

  3. #3PDG X2014-11-11 17:01

    Take a look at this for an example. http://www.icuee.com/Documents/VTS/Brochure/uoB8YR5Ccm/Expander System.pdf

  4. #4Dickjr.2014-11-11 17:13

    Where do you order such repair kits? I'm real interested in doing some repair to my 416C swing tower

  5. #5PDG X2014-11-11 17:22

    Many Cat dealers handle them, but search online. Might get better price. http://www.hellotrade.com/lubritech/expander-pins.html

  6. #6Delmer2014-11-11 19:12

    Any backhoe bigger than a lawn tractor has bushing that are replaced with the pins. If the bore for the bushing is worn (if the bushing isn't tight) then you need to get it line bored, etc. I haven't done it, but I've looked at some prices on a JD. Case will be cheaper but I'd guess the PARTS for the whole backhoe would be in the low thousands of dollars. (I was gonna guess $1-2k, but then I looked at coleman and maybe the prices aren't any cheaper than a JD?)

  7. #7Tinkerer2014-11-11 19:23

    Ando repaired his swing tower about as slick as anyone can. His entire basket case thread is an interesting read. On page 7 you can see how he repaired the wallowed out swing tower bushing bores.

  8. #8clintm2014-11-11 19:57

    I would guess about $500.00 to $1,000.00 per hole with new pins and bushings. The bolt in the swing tower you are talking about in all loader backhoes they have some kind of lock to keep them from swinging while in transport was that what it was?

  9. #9Dickjr.2014-11-11 20:06

    They state that even if line bored , wear will happen again. I would think this holds true , the hardest material should be on the original fixture. I'm going to look into ordering the swing kit for my 416 , the actual wear is in the swing pins and the actual tower. My other point that needs attention is the boom base pin to swing tower. So I have 4 pivots in need of attention. If the cost of just 4 is equal to or less than 1000$ I'm going to try it.

  10. #10fishfighter2014-11-26 06:05

    Keep us informed if you do use them.