Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

610 Bobcat starting to blow up

cb1 ยท 2008-08-04 19:57

Started making racket today after about a 1 1/2 of digging. Lots of smoke coming out the dipstick tube and breather after it started making the noise. Under a heavy load it stops, makes me think a rod or wrist pin. But that dosen't explain the blow by. Maybe a headgasket. Still digs a full bucket. Making lots of noise now. Bought it last year for 1000, put another 1000 into over the winter (axle seals, starter, alternator and battery). Everything works. Just don't know when to cut my loses. Should I trailer it home or continue digging until the brutal end?

Replies3
  1. #1cb12008-08-04 19:59

    Read: Under heavy load, the noise stops, not the machine,

  2. #2Bentworker22008-08-04 22:04

    Depends http://www.wisconsinmotorscanada.ca/rebkitvh4d.html I would call up Murray at Wisconsin Motors Canada and get a price on a VHD4 rebuild kit (I think that is the engine you have). If it is less than a grand to get the kit, I would stop now and rebuild the engine. If it is more than a grand I would stop now and try to sell the skid steer as is with engine problems for as much or more than you paid for it, or just run the hell out of it and see if it blows. I got all the parts to rebuild the Continental TMD20 diesel in my Case skid steer from him. Good prices, but shipping is a pile of money from Canada. Make sure you tear down the engine before you order the kit to make sure you get the correct stuff in one shipment. If you do rebuild the engine you will be able to get your money back out of it, even if you blow up some other major component. You should be able to sell the engine alone for more than what you would have into a rebuild. Good luck, Peter

  3. #3cb12008-08-04 23:04

    From what I can see i.e., ebay and ads, 3500-4500 is the going rate for one of these beasts. A rebuilt VHD4 is 4295 less up to a 1000 for the core. So if all is ok, which I highly dought, 3295. So, I would have 5000 into a 4000 machine. If I rebuild, 1000 for parts (guess) 500 for machine work (guess) labor (free, next winters project). 3500 into a 3500 machine. I think I will put it in my yard sale in tow weeks.