Once when I was anticipating a visit by a guy flying an antique airplane and had to secure 3 drums of ethanol-free mogas for him, a local garage partner lent me his diesel pickup just like that, no charge. A nice guy as we call such people, one good turn deserves another . Well, he's now restoring a 1962 Chevvy 6-wheeler that had originally been built with a water-cooled compressor but acquired an air cooled brake compressor along the way. One of the previous owners had exchanged compressors with the owner of another identical truck that had the air model (IF I got the story right). Anyway, he's desparate for a rebuild kit and asked me if I could help find one. The tag says Bendix model 275047 and ser 1k2860. Anyone know of possible sources for such kits? Or a good compressor, cheap? The size of the truck is a bit above the run of the mill restoration project. He reminds me of a another local 'tinkerer' who once sold me a 10kw waukesha generator stuffed into a dodge minivan! A few years later he showed up at my place with a WW-I tank on his flatbed. When I asked him why on earth he had bought it he just said: "because I never had one before" View attachment edward-bendix.jpg
So, it appears to be a Bendix Tu-Flo 400 . Parts should be available. Check the web or a brake/clutch rebuilder in your area. I’ve got one of those trucks with a 409 and 5&4 with a winch deck
A quick search online and I see the 275047 should change to a 227407X rebuilt exchange compressor. Hope the cut and past works!
Excellent, the cut & paste came in loud and clear. My friend and I will both ask the bartender to say a mass for your soul, or maybe we shouldn't, everything nowadays becomes a 'references issue' )) I've been poking around myself, more on ebay which horrifies me and even around the bendix kremlin from where all I got was a response I can only qualify as null-content (I told them what I thought of it too). Thanks again!
One thing that kind of shocked me was some of the prices being quoted online for a reman Tu-flo 400. Is $1,000.00 what a little two cylinder reman compressor goes for these days?
Part of it might be bad comms, like kits that do not say how many pieces in the kit. I was pricing brake caliper seal kits for my Dx-6.05 and the price was like $250 cad and the dealer could not tell me if it was for the 4 calipers or for only one so "it had to be assumed that it was for only one". Me, I'm not even a hobby farmer so I just assumed that I didn't want any, period, I mean a grand for 8 rubber seals in a plastic pouch? Hello? Obviously it's much simpler than this it the case of one compressor, and the prices are part of the reason my friend wants to rebuild one instead of buying one. He did bring it up with others before and it seems that the air-cooled models are more of a problem for finding a rebuild kit. For me the shocker for 2023 thus far was injector spacers going by Deutz part #2137568 which at $20us are already ridiculous BUT ...warehousing costs and all, it can be argued. Deutz Fuel Injector Bushing, Centering Ring, 2137568 Injector Bushing Centering Ring 511, 912, 913 www.heavydutypros.com But when I priced one locally I got quoted $114 cad, yeah, one hundered and fourteen EACH! So I ordered a bag of 100 from China for $26 cad which brings the cost down to $0.26 each on which someone is already making a profit. Accordingly the bag of 100 should be worth $11,400? Pathetic. Yes, I am keeping ALL the paperwork. Part of the problem is that #1 here at least far too much heavy machinery is in one way or another working on some government contract so no one gives a hoot about prices. But sooner or later the little operator stops buying used equipment he cannot afford to buy or keep in oil, that chokes up the used market and raises the cost of new iron even further because new hardware customers cannot dispose of the old. #2 Another part is multi-level distribution, it used to be factory-retailer, then it bacame factory-wholesaler-retailer, now it's developer (a progaram on a laptop on a yacth) manufacturer (chinese basement) world continental distributor natioonal distributor regional distributeor retailer Too many in-betweeners, most just pushing drop-shipping emails. Somewhere the balloon makes a popping sound like that sub over the titanic.