Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

624J MDU acting up

Deeretracks ยท 2014-07-28 17:19

Our 624J is having issues with the gauges shutting off and the hour meter resets to zero (which I didn't think was possible). It's an intermittent problem and throws codes FLC 299621.2 Machine configuration invalid and TCU 522365.13 Limp home mode. You can shut it off, restart it and sometimes the problem will go away. When it does, the hour meter works. Then it will throw the codes again and the Hr meter will zero again. I'm thinking a power interruption to the FLC but can't catch the machine when it happens. I've inspected the cab harness and cleaned all TCU/MDU/FLC connections. What could cause the hour meter to clear? The loader has over 6000hrs on it but the MDU shows 2.2hrs at the moment. Last week it got up to 35hrs before it happened again. :Banghead

Replies4
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-07-29 11:48

    TTT Bueler? Bueler?

  2. #2oregon96pd2014-07-30 00:43

    Sounds like a problem with the instrument cluster controller(cant think of the deere acronym for it right now). If it were a problem with the flc it wouldnt reset the hour meter, if that were the case it'd reset the hour meter everytime you shut off the master. The machine configuration and limp mode sounds exactly like what happens if you replace the cluster without going into the service mode and dont program the machine specific configuration. Ive had to replace both in our loaders and do remember that if you dont go through the right steps after cluster replacement it will do exactly what your saying, also I THINK I remember only having x amount of key cycles to get the hours programmed before it locks you out of that option. We have 10+ of the j series loaders....overall not impressed with the farm tractors turned wannabe construction equipment.

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-07-30 00:50

    You are correct about the key cycles on a new MDU. This one is still the original cluster and the issue is very intermittent. It may be time for a new MDU, I don't remember there being another module to run the MDU. Are you talking about the Chassis Controller (CCU)?

  4. #4oregon96pd2014-07-30 20:39

    No I was thinking of the CMU (Can Monitor Unit). Its the actual controller in the display. The MDU is what they call the actual LCD display, either way its unimportant because they are built into each other, it was just bugging me that couldnt think of the name, so I had to get on service advisor lol. It does sound like a problem in the cmu/mdu, but its an expensive shot to take. Really though, with the hours resetting and machine configuration going away, its almost gotta be the problem.