Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

63 Ford 4000 Oddball Fuel Line

Wastepro ยท 2015-08-17 08:09

Got what appears to be an oddball fuel line, at only 28 I am really too young to know. I been to our local auto parts store and local hose assembly shop with no luck. Was told to check out Alliance hose and tube in Greensboro, NC, so we did, and they couldn't suggest anything. The line is 1/8" and the compression fitting nut is 5/16" on the flats. One side of the line is completely broken before the flare. The other side appears ok, but might have a small crack in the flare, causing a weeping leak. The line does run right near the block, so I think a flexible rubber line is out of the question. I thought the good Folks of HEF have seen/fixed a line like this before so I am looking for suggestions. I posted some pictures and hope they are self explanatory. Thanks yall.

Replies8
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-17 12:42

    Looks like a brake line to me.... May or may not be original.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2015-08-17 20:13

    Slide the nut back on and get/rent a brake line flare kit.. OR I wouldn't hesitate to use a rubber line, covered in a loom..

  3. #3gtermini2015-08-18 11:30

    I would go rubber without thinking twice. If you take the brass elbows off the tank and pump, I bet you will find 1/8" NPT, and can get a couple pipe thread to hose barbs at the hardware store. Most reputable hose companies makes a fuel rated hose more than suited for that application. I wouldn't worry about the heat from the engine at all. Abrasion on stuff is the only thing to watch for with rubber in this case. Greyson

  4. #4lantraxco2015-08-18 12:38

    Yeah, did you notice the line from the filter to the pump is already push on with clamps? By the way, no problem getting hose barbs to screw into those flare type fittings, any decent automotive or truck shop should have them.

  5. #5td25c2015-08-18 20:21

    If all else fails .... Call your local New Holland dealer . Website also has a lot of info & part numbers on discontinued models . Here's Wastepro's fuel system on the 63 model 4000 tractor . http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr60169ar493543 Do you need #48 on the diagram ? I agree , It looks like brake line .

  6. #6Wastepro2015-08-19 21:44

    Hey yall appreciate the input. Local NH dealer wanted $275 or so for the replacement part, and yup its #48. Don't know if I can drop that kind of money on a fuel line. that's crazy Someone local recommended a company in Charlotte that can flare a 1/8" line pretty cheap and we can possibly reuse the compression fittings. Going to call and get a quote tomorrow. Might run out and grab some barbed fittings in the meantime. I believe the line could be run further away from the block to reduce heat. But at the end of the day I'm thinking it would probably look better with a well bent steel line tucked away against the block. Hoping to eventually clean this tractor up more, paint and fix/replace the rusted and missing body parts. 1600 hours on the meter, was told that is original by seller.

  7. #7td25c2015-08-20 20:47

    $275 for the fuel line is an easy decision . Nope ! Although is kind of cool they still have parts support for that era of tractor . Just have to shop around , we have experienced the same thing at the New Holland dealer . Some items are pretty reasonable . I replaced the shaft seal on the injection pump on a 7710 and seal cost about $ 12 bucks , not to bad . Then on the water pump they wanted $ 385 .00 I called my local auto parts store and they got us a new water pump for $100.00 . HeavyEquipmentForums Nice looking 4000 Wastepro ! At 1600 hours it's just about broke in . Good luck with it .

  8. #8Wastepro2015-09-02 09:48

    Got it fixed the other day, thought I would post a picture of the result. Ended up running a 1/8" stainless brake line around the block and then a rubber line on barbs to tap into the tank. About $20-25 in parts. I couldn't find anyone who could flare a steel line like the one that was on there. 3 separate shops said it was too small. Anyone have motor oil and hydro oil recommendations for this machine. I usually buy traveler brand 15w40 oil for my diesel trucks at tractor supply, would that be suitable?