Out for a drive this morning and found this jewel sitting along the highway. I didn't spend alot of time taking pictures and getting details, as I jumped a fence and could hear the dogs barking in the background! (Release the hounds was heard above the roar of Jake Brakes on the highway) Its a 633D scraper hooked to an older than a D model tractor.
might be wrong but it looks like a 633B stickered up as a D? cool pics, there is a 637D push pull sitting off the road down out in the sticks next time i drive past i'll get some pics too
rare ss; I agree looks like a B or C, Leroy
i've always been told the 33B's had a silmar back end to a 33D where as the 33C's ran a similar setup to the 33E's which has a slidingfloor and apron, the tractor is certainly as old girl though, is that a rotary coupling up on the hitch??
+1. I have pics of a 633C somewhere, I'll try to find them.
633D the best scraper Cat ever built
You mean a square nose late 67M serial number 631C don,t you?
The B, C, and D all had essentially the same can, with the swinging floor. I liked it well enough, and it was pretty low maintenance, compared to the sliding floor design of the E model. The swinging floor was fine, IF you learned how to stop the floor pointed straight down to control the spread. If you rotate it all the way open, then a pretty big pile falls out all at once. The swinging floor is a bit more rugged, because you have a fixed moldboard edge to take the beating of hard material. I remember putting rippers on some of them to dig in hard material. Hard to do with a sliding floor, not to mention that you will kill the slider forcing it into a hard cut, and forget about any rock with the sliding floor. I can recall jobs with up to 2 foot cobble rock with the wide nose 66M 633C. It was not good on chains and flights, but when it is what you have to do the job, it will work. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the D models being wider and shorter than the C model in the can and cutting edge. That let the C load harder material easier, because there was a narrower edge to force through the cut. I was not really impressed with the D model. I ran the C's on a few jobs mixed with D's, and I didn't see any improvement, IMO.
Definately a B