Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine Problems on International E211 Scraper

quailridgefarms ยท 2011-08-31 15:27

I have an International E211 Scraper that will run for anywhere from a half hour to an hour and a half and then just sputter and die. Let it sit overnight and it will run again. We've had the injector pump rebuilt thinking that the problem could be there but we still have the problem. I know its an old machine but does anyone out there who has been in the business a long time know what might be causing this problem?

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2011-08-31 18:30

    The next time it happens, slowly remove the the fuel tank cap. feel and listen for a vacuum condition in it. Many times I have seen a plugged fuel cap vent cause exactly what you are describing.

  2. #2Showpony2011-09-17 22:49

    If the filler cap breather is OK check the fuel lines to the lift pump, there may be something like a leaf or a piece of glad wrap or similar in the tank or lines or sometimes lines will collapse inside and create a flap that stops fuel flowing. I struck glad wrap quite often, operator looses the fuel cap and uses the wrap in his lunch tin to make do.

  3. #3250c2011-09-18 12:00

    I once worked on a military P&H crane that someone had put a plastic cup inthe fuel tank and it would choke the fuel off at odd times I found it onlt after taking the fuel system apart.