I have been asked by my uncle to check out a 639 Cat track loader with him tomorrow. Cheated and took a look at it tonight before we go tomorrow. Looks like a repaint, and about 25% under carriage. Will want to see it move, dig and lift, etc... Owner owes my uncle some money and my uncle thinks this may be his only way of recouping some of it. Having a hard time finding info on the 639 track loader. Any help would be appreciated, thanks, cb
Yuo mean a 939? What kind of info you looking for? With a serial number i can give you all kinds of info and history.
OK, I know I am ocd, however I am not dyslexic. I am pretty sure on the 639. I can tell you it is 24 volt. Military (?). It is yellow though, not green. This number was sharpied on the back 85J4948, could be the serial number.. Thanks, cb
Oh, and I am looking for weight, hp, motor type, what it is worth, high and low range etc. I'm still researching the 639... Thanks, cb
85J is a 955L
Well, I googled 955L and that looks like it. Thanks, maybe the 639 was a company/business number, etc.. It was painted over when they did the repaint years ago. cb
They are very robust well built machines. Are you pretty sure about the 25% undercarriage? They are expensive to replace and often exceed the value of the machine. I just saw a 955L sell at an auction for $8500, fair undercarriage, very loose bucket linkage pins. Say, 10K to 18K average depending on condition.
got a 85J17xx# here 955k
Yeah, it might be a K. The tips of the sprockets are very sharp (pointed) with some of the tips broken off. None of the pins have worn through, however they are wore pretty heavy. And the owner doesn't really do maintenance. Pretty much a run until something breaks and then fix it operation. With that said, I really haven't seen him use this particular machine much. The idler wheel on his track hoe is shot so bad I think if you lifted the track you could just pull it off by hand. I see the 85J's going from 8 to 30 grand depending. This one would be low end. We'll see. cb
"In 1971 and 1972 Cat replaced 955K with 955L, but retained the 955K serial number prefixes. The 955L features increased horsepower to 130 FWHP, beginning with 64J03994, 71J03198, and 85J04672." from: RitchieWiki Ok, now I am back to 955L. And '71-'73 for vintage. Thanks, cb
I have a 955L SN 85J4799, it was delivered new in January '72. Very popular machines for good reasons. Sound like your tracks are 100% worn, I imagine the bottom rollers are wearing the pin bosses on the links pretty hard. There are lots of them showing up on Ebay for 10 - $12K, I don't see bids on any of them.
I think he is trying to get $8000 credit for it. We'll see tomorrow.. cb
He might not have a choice but to take it. Something is worth more than nothing. He may be able to sell it to a dismantler for parts and recoup some of the money if the UC is too expensive to fix.
I recently bought a used set of tracks and rollers for mine for $2250 delivered on ebay. The seller had been trying to sell them for months with no luck when I found them. So there are parts available out there if you want to fix it.