Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

63W 773B hoist cylinder removal

Chrisso · 2023-11-30 03:53

Removing a hoist cylinder, needs resealing. Upper mount near fell appart. Lower mounts usually fall apart but this one is stuck on good. Book calls for 3 jaw puller and a 2 other bit's that aren't available. So I made a plate up with three holes to essentially grip the cylinder from behind with nuts on bolts and pull the cylinder off the bearing that way. Used a large 3 jaw puller pulling the plate against the bit attached to the machine. Cylinder doesn't look close to moving. Upgraded to a 'smallish' cylinder, maybe 20 ton, applied heat, flogged it with a sledge hammer, the pulling force bent the plate and stretched the bolts. Going out there tomorrow with longer and higher tensile bolts and a 30 ton cylinder. Any bigger cylinder and I don't think I'll get it in there. Anyone else had this trouble? The "three jaw puller" suggests the interference fit between bearing and cylinder shouldn't be that tight. Didn't take any pictures while out there but this is what I'm talking about...

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2023-11-30 06:14

    Probably corroded if the cylinder has been in there for any length of time. What material is the truck working in.?

  2. #2Chrisso2023-11-30 06:26

    The truck has probably worked in everything over the decades. Possibly a lime quarry also which could explain things.

  3. #3LSV24032023-11-30 06:32

    Tried the recommended three jaw puller, but no luck. Ended up rigging a custom tool, bumped up to a 30-ton cylinder, used longer and tougher bolts, and threw in some heat. Just a tip, take it easy on the sledgehammer – I learned the hard way. Took some patience, but eventually got the cylinder moving.

  4. #4Nige2023-11-30 06:37

    Ho yas, that would explain it. TBH I haven’t seen a 63W working since probably well before the turn of the last century. I thought they were all dead by now…….

  5. #5Chrisso2023-11-30 18:25

    Believe me these machines recieve the bare minimum of TLC, just enough to keep the wheels turning and nothing else. I'm surprised it's still going too.

  6. #6Chrisso2023-12-01 02:02

    Found the problem. The bearing had cocked sideways and had been rusting itself into that position since last century. Got it to move with the bigger cylinder then it jammed up again half way out. In the end I took cover and with enough force she came out with an almighty bang and a few sparks. Definately not ideal. Feel these pictures belong on a safety noticeboard somewhere.

  7. #7Nige2023-12-01 13:34

    It’s a sphincter-tightener when it finally lets go isn’t it.? I’ve seen a few come apart like that over the years.