Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

644h problems!

Bmauldin89 · 2020-03-24 19:02

644h John Deere. Just finished doing center pins and the rear end suspension bushings and not a week later we start having other issues. Started out as a parking brake wouldn’t release. Replaced the coil on the brake solenoid and problem solved. But now trans won’t run in anything but first gear. Soon as you shift to 2nd or any gear after it’s like the brakes come on and the trans defaults back to limp mode. Put a gauge in the line to the brake and it never loses pressure no matter the gear selection. Having no luck figuring this thing out so any help is appreciated. Tia.

Replies6
  1. #1mg23612020-03-25 05:42

    Need a serial number Bmauldin89. Also, are any codes displayed when the issue happens? If not press next on your monitor until d01 is displayed, press select. Then use the next button to scroll through the codes. Post what you have.

  2. #2Bmauldin892020-03-25 07:18

    I attached the serial #. There are no fault codes active.

  3. #3mg23612020-03-26 04:56

    Thanks for the s/n. Did you look in your monitor like I described above to see if there were any stored codes?

  4. #4Bigbert2020-03-26 04:58

    Sounds like an electrical issue. ZF usually allows more than 1st gear as default. So, guess, some shorts on solenoids. Reverse 1st works and tractor moves, too? With tranny jumping to park brake mode means full interruption of communication of TCU. There must be some fault codes stored in fault memory. On H series isn't there a flat display installed somewhere only for signals of ZF tranny? 4WG210? With no fault codes in memory it seems there is no time left for storage of faults. check wiring, plugs, connectors etc.

  5. #5trip2020-03-26 10:26

    Bmauldin89 I got your email. Our 544H was doing the same thing. I don't know if it is the same issue but we had junk (piece of metal) in the valve body. We checked pressures, swapped soleniod's ect. We finally removed the valve body on the front of the transmission, I think they were allens. VB comes off with a backing plate. Put the whole thing on the bench, remove rear back plate and look for trash by/in the soleniods. I dont remember which one it was, there might have been a total of six. When you find trash / metal where it should not be, you may have another problem, but this fixed our shift issue and have been running it everyday about 3 hours with no more shift issues. Good luck, Let me know if you need something more.

  6. #6Bigbert2020-03-26 11:21

    Hello trip, thanks for info. Also in your case I'd expect some fault codes in the memory. With blocked spools in valve body the clutches cannot follow the commanded pressure and these will throw slippage codes like B1 for K1, B2 for K2 etc. when driving. Shorts to 24V or shorts to other solenoids should be detected immediately with ignition on. At first I'd start with readout of faults before taking off control valve. Good luck.