Folks, I bought a 65 International single axle for my farm. It runs pretty good, but the fellow I got it from didn't know exactly what size motor was in it. He did say it was the same block as the Ford 7.3 diesel. Any ideas, and also what would be the correct weight engine oil would be best for it? Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the Forums leebo60!:drinkup I know nothing of that vintage truck but if it has the 7.3 liter diesel engine it has been retrofitted, as they didn't make that engine in 1965. International made the 7.3 for Ford. The International name of that engine is a T444E. There are a few differences between the engines but they are basically the same. Other more knowledgable members will know the exact differences. I have a 7.3 in an F250 I bought new in '01. I have ran Delo 15w40 in it since new. 15w40 works well for my area but it is a warm climate with mild winters.
1965.... isn't that a gas engine?
Yes, I forgot to mention that it is a gas engine.
Assuming it's the original I-H gas engine, year 1965, they offered 400.9 CID (6.6 Litre), 461 CID (7.6 L), or 548.7 CID (9 L), none of which in any way resemble a 7.3 litre. They also offered inline 6 engines, but nothing near 7.3 litre.
From what I understand the International MV 404 and 446 block was used as the basis for the 6.9 diesel.
Only those? In single axles? I had a 69 Loadstar 1600, 26000 GVW (my first dump truck), and it had a 345. I think the family that used the same block was 283, 304, 345, and 392. My 67 tandem had the 549.
That may be true excavator, but those engines weren't produced for another 9 years, 1974.
No doubt digger, that's the thing that marvels me about I-H, they made a lot of different engines. And I could be totally wrong (since they made so many), but I don't recall anything like the 7.3 V8 block in 1965.
Yeah. They had a 4 cyl 152 in the Scout that was literally half of a 304. If it helps... I have in front of me, a MOTOR truck repair Manual, published in 1981. It doesn't go back as far as 65, but the earliest the MV 404 is listed in any model is 1975. Prior to that (from 70 to 74, in this book--whether, or how many years earlier they were made, I don't know), the RD-406 and RD-450 are listed in Fleetstars and some cabover models....
And good info that is digger. I've always had a love for the old I-H label, somehow lost with Navistar. Maybe it's from the days from riding on the old I-H school bus of yesteryear, or the CO4070 that was so prevalent in the '70s, so much like the Emeryville without fenders. I just miss the old I-H brand.
How can I determine what I have? Are there numbers on the block, or in the vin no.? I assume its the original engine. It has a Holley carb, so I figure that's a add on, but it don't look like someone just threw another motor in, and made it fit.
G'day Sounds like you have a Red diamond engine, have a look on the centre of I think the right side of the block and see if there is a diamond cast into it. The Red diamond engine was the engine for around this vintage they came in several displacements eg RD 372 RD 405 and RD 450
Hmmm.... years back I had an IH deep freezer..... it ran good too.. :falldownlaugh
Sorry the second one was RD 406 cheers
Darn, I was looking forward to some picks of a 7.3 L retrofitted into a 1965 IH.
A good mechanic can do anything. On edit: I don't know whether their records are maintained that far back, but a call to your International dealer might actually be able to tell you what the truck was built with. And it's probably a longshot, but is the line setting sheet still with the truck? That'll tell you as well. IIRC, the one in my 69 was pasted to the back of the cab, behind the seat.
You know one? :tong
Folks, I feel like a complete idiot. I looked at the title, and it is a 1975. I don't know where I got 65 at. Now, if you have any patience left, could it be a 7.3, and if so what cu. In. I got 10-30 weight oil for it. Would that weight oil be satisfactory. Again, I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time up to this point.
Don't worry, you got a good thread going. Must be alot of interest in old IH trucks. Like was said before, the MV404 and 446 started 1974-75 and was a gasoline motor, Ford started putting the 6.9 diesel in their pickups in 1981 ? and the 7.3 came out in 1988 ? A 6.9/7.3 should be an easy swap in place of the 404/446. As a side note, to show how close the gasoline/diesels are, I had an '81 IH 1700 with the MV404 in it and when I replaced the water pump it was the same as the 6.9.
Nope,, I don't know any.... but if your looking for an ugly camp cook, here tell there's such a beast residing in knoxville....:exactly
So excavator, do I understand you correctly, that it is possible that my motor could be the gas version of the 7.3(446). I just need to know, so when I tune up the motor, I know what to buy parts for. Am I correct with assuming that the Holley carb is an add on. I appreciate all the help and info that everyone has provided.
Yes, it could be a MV404 or MV446. They are really the same block as the 6.9 diesel, which I think is the same block as the 7.3. A friend of mine bought a MV404 block from me and put all the 6.9 parts from his bad block in it, and ran it for a few years. I have a 1977 that my father bought new, with the MV404, and it has a Holley carb from new. If you will post a few pics of your engine, particularly the top, the distributor location, and the exhaust manifolds, we should be able to tell you the series, at least. Also, if you call the IH dealer with your VIN number, they can tell you what it had from the factory. Good Luck
I tried to upload some pics, but it won't work. Is there a size limit on files? They are about 1.3 megs each.
You need to resize them to 640 X 480.
I do believe that International would be one to cross reference a water pump between gas an diesel engines but I thought the 6.9/7.3 engines were of their own design. The 6.9 was introduced in '83 and remained until 1988 when the bore was increased to 7.3 liters. They ran through 1994 when they were replaced with the powerstroke, T444E if I am not mistaken, another totally different engine. Even a 7.3 in a '74 would be plenty cool. I'd say you would cause more headaches at the parts counter than anything if you said your gas engine was related to the 6.9/7.3 diesel. Good luck and bring the pics.:cool2
What model truck? I'm guessing it likely is a 345 or 392, as those came with Holley carbs(either 2bbl or 4bbl). My '72 1210 pickup had 345/2bbl Holley. Friend had 1210 4wd with 392/4bbl. Would pass everything but a gas station..........and gas was only about .76/gal back in the early 80's.
IH made a 404, 461, 478 and 549 V-8 gas job in that era. I had a 478 in my 1969 IH. Great engine but I couldn't pass a gas station... -m