Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Priming a pt pump

charles walton ยท 2012-12-02 11:36

How do you prime the fuel system on ntc 300 cummins big cam with pt pump?

Replies5
  1. #1mrkw772012-12-02 12:28

    pull the 9/16 size plug out of the top and fill it will fuel some of them took a big alan wrench to. its on top behind the fuel switch or to the side of it

  2. #2charles walton2012-12-02 12:32

    I have been trying to put fuel in there but it won't take but an ounce or so until I turn the engine over then it will take that much again,I know its empty because I've had the pump off.

  3. #3mrkw772012-12-02 12:47

    that is strange when you pull the plug and fill the cavity up it should hold about a quart of fuel. did you have the pump apart? i have also put the suck line in a gallon jug set it higher than the pump then take the charge line off the pump spin it over till fuel sprays out

  4. #4charles walton2012-12-02 12:50

    I haven't had it apart I have had the suction line off though,I'm gonna try pouring fuel back down the line maybe the pressure in the tank will hold it in

  5. #5Wick2012-12-03 07:17

    G'day had a similar situation recently with a 335 that had sat for a couple of years, removed the plug you refer to and used a hand vac pump to draw up the fuel re fitted the plug and cranked for a few turns and it fired straight up.