My owners manual says to bleed the fuel filter after draining the water from the fuel filter. This is recommended every 10 hours. It looks like the bleed screw and primer lever is way down low on the engine block. If I understand this correctly, I have to pull the side screen from the dozer engine area. This seems like a lot of effort for a daily maintenance chore. I know that I need to drain the water on a regular basis. Is bleeding the system really necessary, or am I missing a better way to do this on a 07 JD 650J without removing the screen?
On the bottom of the of the water filter there is a sensor that you unscrew a little to get the water out. Same on the fuel filter on the motor. You don't have to drain the whole filter. Just unscrew them a little and they will start draining. EASY
Thanks of your comment. I understand where the drain valve (what you called a sensor) is on the filter and that it is not necessary to drain the entire filter. I also agree that this is easy. My question relates to bleeding the fuel system to eliminate the air that is introduced by the draining process. The owners manual says to drain the water off and bleed the system every 10 hours. The location of the bleed screw and primer lever is low on the engine block which requires removing the left the engine panel for access. I can't imagine doing this on a daily basis. Does anyone have experience draining the water from the filters without performing the bleeding process which does not comply with the owners manual instructions? Or, does someone know a way to bleed the fuel system without removing the left engine panel? Thanks!
Drain them with the engine is hot then. I haven't bleed one unless a line, injector, or pump has been replaced. Just draining the filter you don't have to do. Ever 10 hrs is just draining the bowls of the filters. To do the bleeders is only if you have air in the system. When I replace the fuel filters i try to do it with the engine and fill the new filters up with fuel some you don't get air into the system. The bleeder is on the filter housing and is the the screw in the center of it.
Thanks Kevin, I will try this - good to know that I don't need to bleed the fuel system each time I drain the water!
I always crack the drain plug open on the bottom of the filter while the motor is running. Is that wrong? I'm not necessarily talking about a 650j just diesel motors in general.
LT-x7, Leaving the engine running sounds like an excellent idea to me. The pressure in the fuel line would eliminate the need for bleeding. I sure would be interested in hearing opinions on bleeding fuel while running the engine from people that are more experienced than I am. Thanks!