Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

650k series 2 Case Dozer injection pump timing

Tic Tac · 2020-07-20 18:54

I have a 650k Case Series 2 dozer has a 4cyl engine. I’m trying to get the injection pump timed, it is puffing white smoke out the exhaust. I have the engine at #1 TDC.

Replies9
  1. #1Vetech632020-07-20 19:46

    Describe puffing? Has there been any recent work on the fuel system that makes you believe it is out of time? Engines will smoke and have low power from a failed fuel injector.

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-07-21 08:47

    Welcome to HEF, Tic Tac ! Do not change the timing. If you do, you may create more problems that could be really bad. You need to determine the cause of the "puffing".

  3. #3Tic Tac2020-07-21 19:22

    A guy took the pump off and installed a new injection pump on it. Then never showed back up to finish. I get here and when you are spinning it over it, it doesn’t try to start. White smoke is coming out of exhaust pipe

  4. #4Tic Tac2020-07-21 19:23

    Operator said it was running fine then started loosing power, when the guy put new pump on, he said it was running. They get here and it isn’t running. I believing he didn’t time it right

  5. #5Vetech632020-07-21 19:52

    Is it the 4-390 engine?

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-07-22 11:05

    Also which series is it ?

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2020-07-22 22:12

    Post pic of pump please

  8. #8thepumpguysc2020-07-23 07:46

    If it’s a Delphi DPA PUMP it’s rather simple.. drive shaft is keyed, TDC IS pinned under the pump & there’s a timing line on the ear of the mounting flange.. Have u bled the air out of the system.? In order to get the timing exact, I’m gonna need the pump # off the name plate..(3442F 700)

  9. #9alrman2020-07-23 15:31

    Should be an Iveco engine Should be a Bosch pump Should not have a keyed timing gear Pump must be timed by a fuel injection specialist BEFORE fitting it to engine set at TDC. My guess is that the timing gear was not tightened correctly when the pump was fitted & it has spun on the pump shaft. So the pump now needs to be removed & timing of pump & engine reset.