Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

655C Muffler

Barty88 ยท 2019-11-25 13:51

Looking around at replacement mufflers for this and All I see are crazy expensive ones ($315 is by far the cheapest). Anyone know of a better place to get a decent muffler at a better price? Mine is shot, smokes pours out of holes and fills the engine compartment then wafts into the cab. Is it possible to 'make your own out of a cheap muffler and some pipe or is there something about the air flow or insides that make this one a must? I see $100 straight pipe in line mufflers by the exhaust manifold is offset on the engine compartment so you would have to do a couple right angles and pipe lengths to go up a few inches out of the manifold, make an 'L' and go up through the sheet metal but then the main weight wouldn't be supported by anything...

Replies4
  1. #1Ct Farmer2019-11-25 15:31

    Can you make one. Yes. Will it be effective. Maybe. I could not find one for my excavator. Had to have it custom made. Was told that it would be tuned to the engine displacement, rpm and exhaust pipe diameter. They told me internal baffles, hole sizes and expansion chambers would be designed around those specs. Wasn't cheap but works very well. Made in Canada. They did tell me a muffler for a gas vehicle would not work as well on a diesel. Different frequencies and rpm I guess.

  2. #2Tags2019-11-25 17:57

    Don't take this the wrong way, call the dealer and get a price, that $315 will sound real good. I recently bought a muffler for a 555c from yesterday's tractor I belive, and the quality and fit were top notch, better than most mufflers I've ever installed.

  3. #3mg23612019-11-26 05:06

    $2500 from the dealer. $315 is looking pretty good.

  4. #4Vetech632019-11-26 07:29

    Say WHATTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!