Hello, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with my '86 544D. The front locker solenoid is obsolete, previous owner tried to wire something in... doesn't work. The floor switch has power and there's power to the solenoid. What I'm wondering is if the 544E system can be fitted to my 544D system.....BUT I can't find 544E hydraulic diagrams on line!!!! Or is there a simple solution for this....be nice to have a front locker for snow plowing!
Part number? And picture? So you need just the coil?
I will take a picture tonight but it was a Cat mechanic trying to make a cat part work on a JD. Basically I need an alternate way to lock/unlock the locker (IF it even works!) I don't understand how or what the hydraulic circuit does to "lock" the diff. Is it like an ARB in the 4x4 world?
Regulated oil from the unloading valve is "turned on" and sent to the differential housing.
A hydraulic JD differential lock is just another wet brake/clutch that's installed in the differential. So it's more like a powershift lock than a cog gear lock that will blow apart if you try to apply with one wheel already slipping. I don't know how an ARB lock works, it looks like it's an air operated cog gear lock, not a friction lock like the JD. More than likely JD didn't make that valve or solenoid, so it shouldn't be too hard to find replacement parts, if you know what you're looking for and where to find it
So it's #10 that is obsolete now. The cat mechanic has put on a different solenoid valve so there's no way for me to know what original one was. Thanks for the quick replies, not much use in posting a pic of this. I'm wondering if there's anyway to manual engage it?
The cat mechanic put on a cat solenoid and didn't bother to keep the original? then your best bet is a used one. That is just stupid in my book. It's just a valve in a block, plenty of ways to replace it. The regulating valve is the tough part.
I figured the throw of the solenoid could be important, maybe I'm over thinking this!
can a valve off a ag tractor be adapted? ie 8760 or 8870
So he just replaced the coil, and you have the original valve still in place? I think I'd take the valve out of the valve body and see if it functions with the solenoid activated (coil energized) if it doesn't, then try another coil, or see if that coil is magnetizing when it's energized.
I will take it apart to see what was cobbled together.
Update....took it apart....valve looked the same, just a different solenoid (coil) on top. Cleaned it all and put it back together ran a separate 12v to jump it to see if it would work ....Voila! I now have a working front locker. I'm hoping there's a simple fix for the transmission!