Hello all, I have a ford 655d tlb and I noticed that at your feet in the cab you can change the gpm to different settings. It's currently set at 9 gpm and can go to 16 and 26 gpm. A couple of ?s. 1. I can't figure out how to change it, and b what is the benefit of this. Ty in advance Chewy
Bump!
It would make the hydraulic functions faster, post a pic of the control, maybe we can see how to do it.
Ty Mitch, would it give more power, if not I guess I'm fine with the setting. Ty chewy
No, more pressure would give more power,while shortening the life of many parts. More flow would give more speed.
Ty Mitch, I will probably not change it then bc I'm new to backhoes and I don't need more speed. I was hoping for more power bc my hoe won't lift itself at idol with the out riggers, and has trouble lifting the boom at idol also. The loader has plenty of power. The hoe seems kinda sluggish to me with nothing to gage it by. Any thoughts? Chewy
does the engine lug down when you try to lift the boom at idle?
No, but there is a noise like the pump is struggling.
if the pump is whinning it is starving for fluid,,,,low fluid/clogged strainer from cylinder packing,,,, the 4500 where bad for clogging strainer,,,,,,,,,, the stainer would be located between fluid tank and pump dont keep using if pump is whinning until fixed,,, i never heard of adjusting the fluid flow/pressure on a ford backhoe and have operated several,,,but i'm not saying its not possible GL keep us posted
this old man is interested in that valve. i have a 94 655D where is it located a pic would be great.
Hey jughead, wondered if you were still around here!! Right below your feet in the cab under the floor matte there is a valve that changes the flow. I have a 93 655d. I will try to upload a pic, if I can do it from my phone.
thanks that would be great. guess as long as i have a puter and above grass instead of below it i will be around. i dont post much because am not and never will be more than a lever puller. i do learn a lot from the people on this board. i am on here almost everyday early morning eastern time.
I can't figure out how to upload pics. Help needed!!!
Well Mitch504 No quite correct. It would give it more power! Just no more torque. Power is moving something x time, less time = more power.
Most diggers these days do this at the flick of a switch. The idea is to increase flow in situations where the force required is light and an increase in speed can be gained such as loading loose material into a truck. The hydraulic POWER is greatly reduced. For digging hard material the opposite is needed. Less flow/less speed /more digging POWER. You can overheat hydraulic oil by forcing the machine to dig while in a high flow mode.
What about ripping trees out of fence rows, general farm use?
I'd say leave it where it is for general use/ reasonably low.
If you really want to be correct, you should use the term "force" not torque, since "torque" is rotational force, and since we are discussing cylinders, nothing is rotating. Also, you are assuming that it would have more flow at the same pressure, and this is usually not correct.
Mitch is absolutely correct there bug, flow has nothing to do with power, it just makes something happen faster, it doesn't make it do it any harder. Pressure will make it do whatever you want harder but not faster, if you want more power and speed you need to increase both pressure and flow.
Power, Force and Torque Guys you were not paying attention in class when Power, Torque, and Force were covered. Power: Is moving something, “load times speed” in this example the time it takes to dig a bucket of whatever and move it; to do this faster takes more power. Force: Applying energy to move something from where it is to another spot; like a rock or a door or whatever. The Best definition for Torque = Resistance to Change. It can be rotational or any other push or pull we apply before an object moves or changes speed. If the bucket can make a dig in some soft sand, this requires low torque to curl the bucket, in dirt requires more torque, the same is true if you have to move a rock, before it will move the bucket must apply additional torque. After the load is in the bucket if you can deliver more gpm to the hydraulics then you can move the load faster, “more power”.
opcorn
Buggyman, I'd like to suggest that before you start something like this, you check your memory, to avoid embarassment. I double checked mine, and found quite a few sources that agreed with me that torque is rotational. I recognized the first three words of your definition of torque as a good definition of inertia. I have posted a few of my sources below, for your convienence. I have not gone to the trouble of checking your definition of power as force at speed, since I agree you are technically correct. When I used the term the way I did, I was using an informal, or common, definition since this was the way the conversation started. You are probably incorrect to state that increasing the flow would increase the power. I say probably because to say for sure would require more familiarity with this system than I have. To increase the power would require increasing the flow while keeping the pressure the same. For that to be possible, we would have to assume the machine is using a fraction of it's horsepower while in the low flow setting. Good talking to you, Mitch504 Definitions of Torque: http://www.asknumbers.com/WhatisTorque.aspx http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque http://physics.about.com/od/glossary/g/torque.htm Definitions of inertia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia http://physics.about.com/od/glossary/g/inertia.htm http://www.thefreedictionary.com/inertia
Alright Mitch I will give you an A for the extra effort to look up some definitions: ) At the same time I’m going to have to give you a C for not understanding the lesson. The way we measure Inertia is called Torque; and yes it can still be more than twisting. Now if you just want to fight or argue, just send me a pm with your phone number and I’ll call and we will see how it comes out. Happy Trails…..
Umm, if you fellas wanna have an informative conversation for the benefit of forum members...carry on. But if you wanna have a pissing match, we can shut it down. Be civil and respectful. Thanks
:guns
I think terminology is what is causing the fuss here. Heres how I see it. If you want a hydraulic actuator to carry out an action which requires X force at X speed you need X flow at X pressure. If you want to increase speed you need to increase flow which means more effort is required by the pump. This is OK until the pump runs out of capacity to produce increasing flow while maintaining X pressure. The pump then physically cannot pump enough oil to build up maximum pressure therefore reducing the hydraulic power availableto carry out the action. If you then turn down the flow control (less flow) the pump can then provide enough oil at maximum pressure to carry out the action with less effort. Less Effort means less load on engine, pump and less heat generated. My personal experience with this was with a New Holland LB110 . The operator insisted on having the flow control switch in high (rabbit as opposed to turtle) and was constantly overheating not only the hydraulic oil but the engine eventually got hot too. Solution was disconnect wire from solenoid so rabbit light was still on and everyone was happy . Anyway thats my two bob worth and remember what we were all told at trade school , KISS ; keep it simple stupid.
PS. The New Holland has a second stage on the back of the main pump which when switched to rabbit provides for the extra flow without increasing rpm but cannot cope with constant high effort work.
and we still dont have a pic of where this valve is. would like to know if my 94 has it. if it does i will have to remove the floor mat to get to it.
I can't figure out how to post a pic!!! I must be one dumb mo fo!!! I'll have to have my wife try. Do you have email jughead? I can send pics to you and you can post?
Jughead, is your floor matte stock or has it been replaced? Mine has a cutout that flips up to access the valve.
It's right next to the differencial peddle.
You have to remove the flux compassitor to get to it!!!!!
no flap or hole in mine i can see. dont know original from after market so i sent my e-mail so we can go from there
test pic test pic
correct pics if you need better pics let me know and i'll take more.
I got it figured out, the valve pic is blurry, but you can get the just of where it's located I think. Don't mind the fuel pump pic, it got in there by mistake
thanks for the pics but mine doesnt seem to have the valve. will have to remove floor matt one of these days to make sure. really not a big thing only put about 400 hrs on it in 6 years
Turns out that all you need to do is turn the lever. It was just froze up. I turned it up and ran at idol, and I don't notice much difference.
Does the backhoe have auxiliary lines on the boom?
Chewy, is it just me... or does the first picture in post #35 need 180° of rotational force applied?... :cool2 OCR... lol
It is fit with an auxiliary line. Is that why there is a valve to change the gpm?
chewy, I can't swear to this, but I think that valve is an add-on, set up to run something like a hammer(particularly w/ Stanley on it).
Yes Orc!! Operator error!!!!
Yeah, hearing it has auxillarys, I bet that's it, and I bet that valve just controls the auxillary lines
I bet you are right Mitch. I had my nephew run it a little bit this evening while me and dad were in the feilds, and he said that it seemed to have more power. I didn't notice anything different when I ran it for a few. So does the valve only help when running the auxiliary? Also on another side note, I have a wheel bearing completely out on front. Is there a sleeve in there that can be changed?
That's why I asked if it had auxiliary lines on it Chewy. Like Mitch said, that Stanley is a clue. Stanley doesn't make any type of valves, but they did make hammers. It's likely that is a aftermarket add on circuit for operating a Stanley breaker, it would allow you to change the gpm to match the attachment you are operating with the auxiliary lines.
Good luck
2wd
Looks like I need a reason to run my auxiliary!! Any cool log splitter ideas or any other suggestions?
Willie has the insight, do a google search for 'Stanley V60' (What was on the valve plate in the pic) and you will find a PDF manual for a Stanley HS6000 vibratory compactor attachment. A quote from the manual: "V60/V65/V100 Valves: A priority flow control valve manufactured by Stanley Hydraulic Tools. Allows for optimum operation of any attachment by providing the proper amount of fl ow for operation of the tool the “priority” aspect allows the attachment to function properly if another control function is activated" HTH Dave
Hey dwloop, Ty for the info.
Chewy An easy way to see what circuits are involved is to stall out one function with the engine at idle . Note what happens to engine rpm. Crank up the flow and if that circuit is involved the engine will stall or close to it.