Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

66 ford 700

Matthew caudill ยท 2009-12-25 14:25

Dose any body know much about these trucks i dont think it is a f700 may be a n700 it has a 391 gas motor 5 speed with 2 speed rear end

Replies19
  1. #1grandpa2009-12-25 16:32

    an n700 is not an f 700, used to own one and was the same color. Mine had a perkins diesel. That truck would turn on a dime and give you eight cents change. I traded it in on a louisville and the ford dealer kept it for many years for a yard/shag tractor.

  2. #2Matthew caudill2009-12-25 17:20

    this trucks gvw is 25000 i have a d5g dozer weighs about 10 ton do you think this truck will haul it i know that it will be over wight but i need a truck like this to get up in some tight places in these hollows hear in eastern ky

  3. #3carogator2009-12-25 19:27

    It will probably haul it on new tires. But!! can you stop it with that weight?

  4. #4Matthew caudill2009-12-26 09:16

    i think it has vacuum over hyd. brakes i have a f600 with this setup it has real good brakes

  5. #5Matthew caudill2009-12-26 15:14

    could i put a 3208 in this truck

  6. #6Steve Frazier2009-12-26 16:10

    I'm pretty sure it was an option for them, I've seen a few that way. I'm not a big fan of that engine, but if it's what you have go for it.

  7. #7leadarrows2009-12-26 16:18

    Nice truck. I want it....lol

  8. #8grandpa2009-12-26 17:09

    If the gross weight of the truck is 25thousand and your dozer weighs 20thousand that only leaves 5thousand for the truck and im pretty sure your truck weighs more than 5 thousand so therefore you will be over gross vehicle weight.

  9. #9cat9802009-12-26 20:45

    my uncle has a 1966 ford f700 bucket truck and a p[icker truck they came off the assembly line right after each other serial number is one number off they are good trucks. The worst thing is vaccum brakes you blow a line you have no brakes. other tyan that great trucks. the 391 is a good engine we put some big loggs n the back of that picker truck and it would haul them no problem.

  10. #10Matthew caudill2009-12-27 10:24

    would the n700 be heaver built truck then the f700?

  11. #11gr792009-12-27 14:29

    I worked at Ford Dearborn engine in the early 70's. We built MD and HD FE/FT family truck engines. 330,360,361,390,391,428. Ford put premium parts in the 391.

  12. #12Matthew caudill2009-12-27 15:02

    do you know any hp and torq specs on the 391 motor

  13. #13gr792009-12-27 18:01

    http://www.lovefords.org/tech/truck/enginecodes.htm http://www.michellesfords.com/N_Series_page.html

  14. #14Matthew caudill2009-12-27 18:10

    wow thanks for the link

  15. #15grandpa2009-12-27 18:59

    I have never seen an N series Ford with a 3208, the first year i remember with cat diesel was in 1970 and that engine was an 1160 cat. But than you know how old guys memorys are:beatsme

  16. #16Steve Frazier2009-12-27 20:22

    They both look identical, I guess I confused the two. The 3208 should bolt in where the 1160 was.

  17. #17gr792009-12-27 23:13

    50's and 60's Evolving era for big Ford Trucks. My favorites as a kid. more links: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-1966-N-Ser...temQQimsxZ20091224?IMSfp=TL091224211004r13260 http://pmc911.com/ http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1960-1969-ford-trucks4.htm scroll to bottom of article for more 60's era pictures

  18. #18Komatsu 1502009-12-29 10:08

    We had three of these over the years including a 1968 N700 and a 1966 NT850 purchased new. Best I remember, the only diesel available in the smaller trucks 600 through 750 or so in those years was the Perkins. We had at least half a dozen 391 engines in various Fords and they were always good. Only particular problem, I remember is they will definitely drop a valve seat if run hot for any length of time (driver error).

  19. #19markshr1512010-06-16 16:13

    I know this is late but it is a NT. The 700 means gas ,7000 diesel.