If you care to press this title in the box- bostonpowercat.com - with the volume on full for the best effect. tctractors
Link didn't work Tony . This one should .Hope it is the right one . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn_aw53Ni1M
Sweet ride!!!!!!! That thing sounded like a top!!!!
The Web address bostonpowercat.com is the best route to go, as it is a new location it will take a week or so to filter through to all the Search methods, it will have more Video spots added of very interesting beasts getting the " Boot " stuffed into them. tctractors
Brings back such good memories. Denny McCoy in San Clemente California, moved 100,000,000 yards on one subdivision in the late '70s or early '80s with a fleet of 100 scrapers made up of 666s and 657s. Now that was one neat looking spread of scrapers. ACI has a spread of SS40s they still use today. Independent Construction in the San Francisco area has a spread of 666s also with a sh#% pot load of resent 657Es and 657Gs. I've been retired now going on 8 years, but if someone gave me a call to run a decent 666 I'd run one for as summer. Well I'd best be going it getting to be my bed time. Mike Nebergall X Quad Operator
Glad that the old girl has brought some good memeries back for you,its great to hear from someone that has run these things,i would love to give you a call to run this one,problem being that by lunch time we would have flattened our little island!!.Cheers.
bostonpowercat. Good morning, America time. Is your 666 the one somebody made a Video of you traveling through those quaint towns taking up the whole width of the street transporting it to your house, with no scraper attached to it? If so, did you find that 666 scraper somewhere close, not having to import one from another country? Keep in touch, OK? Mike Nebergall X Quad Operator
Hi Mike,i have a couple of cat 666s,so the one which is now restored and complete is the sister to the one which was just the tractor head on the road trip video,they both came from the same gentleman in the states,i will be polishing up the other one up in time!,ready for another road trip!,.I have asked on other forums,regarding the history of the old girls ,as they are both ex,SJ Groves machines,who were originally based in W.Virginia,so if you know anything of this outfit?,please let me know.Cheers.
I've heard of S.J. Grove. I never had any dealings with that company. Did you notice the 666 six tractors don't have serial numbers? Your single 666 tractors doesn't have one does it? I got a special article on the 666 tractors I'm looking for, then I tell you about it OK. Mike Nebergall
As far as I am aware they do have serial numbers ,off the top of my head the serial number for the restored one is 64H 210,the other is a 64H also,but cant remember the number without looking,and its dark outside now!lol.That would be great to have a look at that article.Cheers.
S.J. Groves I have a couple of friends that has worked for S.J. Groves. On one job they had the Raygo Giant Grader.The other friend told of them having a Fiat-Allis 41 dozer on there job pushing 641's.Im pretty sure S.J. Groves had the site work for the Toyota plant in Georgetown,KY
Thanks iuoe man,for the SJ Groves info,would be nice if I could find out where my old girls may have worked.cheers
You welcome,if I find out more info I will let ya know.
S.J. Groves was a huge dirt contractor. They did many jobs in the millions of cubic yards for interstate highways, dams, and airports, all around the country.
Cheers Buckethead,thought the outfit must have been in a big way at some point as they are mentioned in the "Peterson"book as being the owners of the very first Quadtrack to be sold by Buster Peterson,but I cant find very much info on them searching the web!
Yes, unfortunately they've been out that long. If you can find back issues of the old trade publications, Roads and Streets, Highway and Heavy Construction, you can find all kinds of articles about them.
I have a helmet of my grandfathers that has a green logo on the side that says "Granite - Ball and Groves" joint venture from the Helms Power Plant project near Fresno. I know the three companys were involved in that power plant project for PG&E. Thats all I know about Groves.
Cheers irncwby 44,what year would that project started ,and finished?.cheers
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I believe that project started 1976 and ended in 1982. The Helms power plant project was the result.
Thanks irncwby 44 for your reply,I looked up that project on the web,it was certainly a very big operation !cheers.
Hi I worked for SJG in Hornell & Cuba ,NY & we used 9 666 scrapers , 1969-1971. They are the ones Bostonpowercat has. We had 641's also. I worked for them in Salt Lake City Utah where we used the Raygo Giant grader. 1979 -1981 We used it for knocking down Winrows from the double bottom trailers pulled by Cat 776. The Atlas trailers Held 140 ton front, 120 ton rear. Fully loaded the unit weighed 1 million pounds
I worked for S?J. Groves for 25 years, we had a Quad D9 on the Hornell ,N.Y job in 1969.