Hi. At my work we have a 1999 JD6675. It is very low hours and like new. In the past when pushing snow with its 5 or 6' bucket it will lose traction and gets stuck. I was surprise because I have seen plenty of other skids push 8' boxes full of snow. Our JD6675 has the power to push. It's the wheels just spin with bucket flat on the ground trying to push snow. My question is will a weight kit help? The tires still have good tread but I am sure new ones will help too. I want to put a snow box on this JD6675 but if it cannot push a bucket. I cannot see it pushing a 6 or 8' box. Any ideas on how to get this machine to perform? Thanks
I have a S175 and have had the same issue. I dont know what others would recommend but I simply added chains to the rear tires. Now I can push whatever I put in front of it.
As stated chains make a world of difference. Momentum is key to plowing snow. You need to maintain ground speed to keep the snow/machine moving. If there is a down hill slope push down the hill. Do your best to keep from spinning the tires. I push snow with an 8ft power angel Meyer plow originally set up for a truck with my LS170 and it does well. The heavier the snow the more narrow swipe you take. The light dry snow I can push a full swipe without any trouble. If its really heavy "ice" or gets over 6" before we get to it I just use the bucket and its more of a dig and pile operation.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.
I would have to agree with frogfarmer. My company owns a New Holland LS170 and a L170. We had a fabricator modify Meyer snow plows from trucks to hook up and run off he skid steer hydraulics. I plow 3 commercial parking lots, 3 private roads, and 60 residential driveways. All said it takes about 16-20 hours of plowing per snow fall. I have very few problems with getting traction. I refrain from using tire chains unless we get close to 2' of very heavy wet snow and ice. The plain tires get good enough traction. We simply get away with smaller cuts per pass if need be. Have you thought about rubber tracks? I have not used them myself, but I do see a few guys with them on. They appear to work well.
what type of tread on the tires are you running? I have found the non-directional tread like these to work better in snow than the AG tread. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-12X16...278?pt=Skid_Steel_Loaders&hash=item3f2c6964f6
I made the same switch as Swanny to a different style tread. Mine are Solideal and work much better in snow than the Chevron style tread. There's a slight sacrifice in traction in extreme mud, the tread will clog easier. I'll post a picture here since the ebay ad will eventually expire.
thanks guys