I am looking at a buddies Case 450 , has a newer rebuilt engine in it , Brakes do not work , not sure if its just the master cylinder or inside machine., tracks worn out (pop off in tight turn when loose) needs an undercarriage, asking price 4500. Stay away? or ?
I ran a 450 Dozer of that vintage back in the early 70's & it did not have working brakes that were operational either, but really with the power Hi-Low steering it did not really present a problem as far as operating & maneuvering was concerned. The one I ran was only 2-3 years old & the hyd brakes didn't work on it, so assume they were not very dependable when new even. Do the track adjusters work? Maybe they are part of the reason for the tracks coming off.
I used this machine about 5 years ago so i know what you mean on the brakes and power hi low steering. I put two new tensioner's on last time i used it , if you pump them up with grease in and do not turn hard or sharp the track will stay on, if you power thought they fall right off. The idlers and track pretty worn when it get here i can post a few pics!
offer him scrap price, 4500 is to much for a machine with NO under carriage . you can find a nice d2/ d4 cat in decent shape for that kind of money. just my thoughts
That was the info I was looking for! Thanks, When was D2 made?
late '40s-early '50s ended in 1952 if memory serves
The Caterpillar D2's were made from 1938 into 1957. There was a midyear design change in 1953. All in all they were all very reliable machines if cared for correctly.
I don't see anything in the $5000 range located close to me. That's why was thinking about offering a lower money for this one and putting an undercarriage on it.
Ok, my memory didn't serve, :beatsme