I'm looking at purchasing this machine to take care of the roads around my place but I have a few questions for you guys before I do. Am I going to be able to get parts for this machine at all? Of course I should be able to for the engine which is the Detroit. But the power steering and the moldboard side shift don't work and it worries me that I'll have a hard time getting parts. Both used to work before it sat for it sat for about 5 years. The machine has 600 hours total and the motor seems to have a lot of smoke at full throttle but I'm not too farmiliar with a Detroit. Does this seem like a wise purchase and if so what would you pay for this machine? Thanks. Jim
Not sure about getting parts for the machine itself, but most good hydraulic shops can rebuild cylinders and valves unless it's really out of the ordinary.
OK just watched a video of one that sold for less than $5000. I assume the one you are looking at has no hydraulics as well. Some one else will have to chime in about parts, cause I am not really sure. There must be a bone yard full of them somewhere.
If this machine is all gear drive controls except for the Power steering and sideshift, odds are that its got a Vickers vane pump with stuck vanes from sitting. Easy fix at most any hydraulic shop. I've seen that quite a few times on Vane pumps. Change the oil while the pump is off, water in the oil is what sticks the vanes usually.
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. The grader is just like the one picture here http://www.primeportal.net/ce/don/440ha_walk_1.htm No hydraulic cylinders on it at all which is kind of neat. It runs really well except the moldboard shift and power steering. I'll have to look at it. Anyway he wants 7500 for it which is a little higher than I wanted to pay for it. I was hoping for around 5k since most of the ones I found in online auctions went for around 4k. Anyway thanks again for your suggestions.