Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

690 interchanges

Robbie369 · 2023-10-20 19:01

Who has an idea which makes ,models will interchange track chains on a 690 D. Older ,about 1990 ,runs great ,but dont use it alot . Hate to spend alot on new chains. Pads are good,bushings and pins are really gone .

Replies27
  1. #1Diesel Dave2023-10-21 00:33

    Welcome to HEF Robbie . How many track pads on the chain ? A machine serial number may help also.

  2. #2Robbie3692023-11-08 19:22

    Thank you Dave ! Looks like a great group judging by what ive been reading. It has a 51 link chain. Its a long -wide undercarriage. 36 " pads. Long stick and boom .Was owned by "Shelburne Limestone " in Vt before i bought it in 04. Been a great machine ,and cleared alot of land ,built roads and septic systems for me and family.

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-11-09 01:53

    I think a 690D is the last JD built 690. Not positive and don't know if it uses the same undercarriage as Hitachi sourced machines. Hopefully someone will know the dimensions and what else they might be used on.

  4. #4Robbie3692023-11-09 14:07

    Ok,thank you Dave ! Im hoping to find a low hour set when i know what will fit ! Appreciate the info on it .

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-11-09 14:20

    Somewhere that sells undercarriage should also have the track dimensions that you could cross to Hitachi, Cat or other popular machines.

  6. #6Robbie3692023-11-09 19:32

    I will give that a try too ! Hopefully they will offer the info instead of trying to sell me new ones ,,haha !

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-11-09 22:14

    Let them think you're looking for new and different options.

  8. #8Diesel Dave2023-11-10 01:07

    Deere only lists 24 inch or 30 inch pads pads for a 690D. You had said the existing 36 inch pads are good, Are you planning to remove the pads and reinstall on a set of used chains or were you hoping to find something complete ?

  9. #9Diesel Dave2023-11-10 02:01

    I found the following machines using a similar 51 link track chain as a 690D, no pads…… pretty limited !! . CATERPILLAR 211LC 4EC -270-UP 213B 1EJ -1-UP HANOMAG 450DLC 2° TYPE 450ELC JOHN DEERE 690DLT 1-52775 LIEBHERR R900 LITRONIC R902 LITRONIC 101-422 R902 LITRONIC 423UP R902B CROSS REFERENCE (Original codes): BERCO CR4854/51 ITM E32066A0M00051 ITM E32066A0S00051 ITM E7610700Y00051 VPI VCR4854/51HDV

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-11-10 02:53

    Are the dimensions and track pitch the same as OEM JD on these crosses? Trek, ITR and maybe some others likely have crosses as well. Finding decent used might be difficult. There may be dozers that use the same rails but then you'd need extra links or a couple dozers in similar shape.

  11. #11Robbie3692023-11-10 20:31

    I will use the old pads . They are in great shape !

  12. #12Robbie3692023-11-10 20:33

    Wow ! This is great .Thank you !

  13. #13Robbie3692023-11-10 20:35

    Well,this will sure help

  14. #14RipStick2025-01-14 15:05

    New to the forum, curious can a 690E car body and under carriage be swapped over to a 690D?

  15. #15Welder Dave2025-01-14 19:33

    Not sure if the D was the last JD built machine or not. Probably need some part numbers to compare. Found an older post that mentioned the 690D was more similar to the 690C than 690E. I think the E was an Hitachi build and the D was more JD but a Hitachi style cab.

  16. #16RipStick2025-01-14 19:47

    I was trying to look for parts numbers etc… but the internet wasn’t helpful. I used some aftermarket suppliers to see if the ring gears are the same but from one site to another the suppliers were using different parts numbers. I have both serial numbers from the machines was hoping a HD JD guy was on the thread and could use the inner workings of Deere to confirm.

  17. #17Welder Dave2025-01-14 20:17

    Hopefully the JD mechanics will see this. Any serial numbers you can provide would help.

  18. #18Diesel Dave2025-01-15 00:20

    Welcome to HEF Ripstick . @RipStick asks “ curious can a 690E car body and under carriage be swapped over to a 690D? “. . The swing bearing for a 690D and 690E all sub to Deere part # AT190768. That said the bearing mounting bolt pattern is the same on the two machines. . Did you find a complete 690E lower car body with propel motors and undercarriage that you want to install under the 690D ?

  19. #19RipStick2025-01-15 09:11

    So the Long Carriage machine holds the serial number: DW690EL563160 While the military machine with rubber on it holds the serial number: DW690DR532277 My hope is I can lift it at the ring roll the one car body out and roll the LC tracks back in, bolt it up and start digging. Anyone with relevant information on a swap like this would be welcomed to comment.

  20. #20RipStick2025-01-15 09:50

    Yes, found a salvage LC that looks to be in decent shape. My 690D came out of the military with rubber tires and a blade. Its pretty wobbly on its feet and I was hoping the LC tracks would stiffen it up. The Military machine has low hours on it as well. The other issue I face is the rubber car body original put on the machine was from a Military Contractor by the name of Dempster that I cannot find any info. The air force base it was on they busted the chain drive system in the car body and tore up the sprockets, I've been limping it along thinking I would rebuild it but as I used it more I realized rubber tires don't fit the application I want the machine for.

  21. #21Gary Layton2025-01-15 10:21

    Sounds like a great project. If you do this please start a thread with pictures to let us follow along.

  22. #22Diesel Dave2025-01-15 11:40

    Deere has a very good online parts site, https://partscatalog.deere.com .

  23. #23FWD2025-01-15 11:56

    Some way or another, it's in my mind that a 690E was the last John Deere excavator designed by John Deere. FWD

  24. #24Welder Dave2025-01-15 23:40

    Wasn't sure if it was the 690D or 690E that was the last JD made excavator.

  25. #25RipStick2025-01-16 09:03

    I think you are right the 690D sets with the motor forward to rear as do the other machines at that time, then on the 690E there is a change. I believe this is when Hitachi is incorporated and the motor pivots 90 degrees to side to side. In my opinion, that is the change time frame, however there was some collaborations going on a the time with Hitachi, as I remember reading somewhere when they would finish them in Iowa or transport them out. This is only from reading other forums and presuming the changes were incorporated by Hitachi. Welder Dave thanks for giving me the info on the gears it looks like its a similar swap!!

  26. #26Welder Dave2025-01-16 18:37

    That was Diesel Dave.

  27. #27RipStick2025-01-16 19:45

    Sorry, thanks Diesel Dave.