Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

6BTA Cummins Head Torque Specs.

steve931 ยท 2008-02-13 07:46

I need torque spec's on 6bt cummins 12 valve head and sequence if anyone has them,thank's steve931:beatsme:usa

Replies3
  1. #1totalloser2008-04-22 01:11

    This is the sequence for a 12 valve 5.9 liter 6bt in a pickup. I drew it for copyright reasons. The book says work up to 70 foot pounds in 3 steps. I would probably go 40, 60, 70. It also says use "light oil" on the threads. I use antisieze to get more accurate torque readings (less friction bindup). Be careful where you get it if you do (especially the fuel system)

  2. #2John C.2008-04-22 19:07

    That looks like the pattern for all the B series Cummins engine I've worked on. The torque specs are different than I have done though. Most torque to a certain point and then turn the bolt two flats. I don't remember for sure but I know a standard half inch drive twelve point socket will not take that tension for too many bolts before it strips. Good Luck!

  3. #3totalloser2008-04-24 23:14

    Good point. If you have a 3.4 liter "A" series, please disregard this! My source is for the 5.9 out of a Haynes service manual.