Anybody know what's the biggest loader you can drive on the road physically or legally. Here in BC I've seen and driven myself 966s on the road. What are your guys experiences.
have no clue in bc around here in N il depending on the city or county most dont care if it isnt over 102 or so inches wide and either has an smv or a flashing yellow light and its daytime hours
102 inches is only 8 and half feet which is like a 938.
Around here they dont care. The county drives there WA 380 around all the time, and I have seen 970s driving down the road. The craziest thing that I ever seen was cat 627 scraper water wagon driving down the main 4 lane road into town with no escorts.
970 is that a Cat. I didn't know they used make a 970. I guess in really small towns they don't lose sleep over heavy equipment on public roads.
we have to obtain permits to road our 980, thats the largest ive ever seen.
657 here in the uk ,some people just pop off down the high street to the next job might get in a spot of bother if it was done now
Norway is: Not over 20 000lbs pr axle/one driveaxle 23000(10/11,5t), 9feet wide, 36 feet long. Permit and escort for higher axle loads, and more than 9feet wide. Biggest here is a Volvo L120, Moxy MT31,Volvo A25, 966 is on the edge.(empty, or nearly) The L120 is also on the edge, thats way Volvo made the L110. But i know somebody roading a A35 fully loaded, and 980's, but u maight get in big trouble. Our Leopard 2 Main Battle Tank, 110 000 lbs, is driven on roads on exercises...(permit and yellow beacon)
I drive my 980C down the road. We plowed for the town one year with it. As long as it's registered I can't see them busting your chops.
Our company roads equipment on a regular basis.We road 980's, 627's and 633's to almost every job. Even if it is way too far. It seems like the company policy is that lowboy trailers are only for tracked machines or broken scrapers and loaders. If we can drive the machine to the next job in an 8 hour day, down the road it goes. I'm sure im not the only one here that thinks its crazy. Oh, the 633's are scary when you get on a two lane, back road or into a small town. and they go fast enough to scare you too.
Yeah believe me I'd rather move all the machines on the lowbed so I don't put needless wear and tear on the tranny and final drives. Needless to say I've done some pretty crazy things to get things done.
Now they have changed the machine but I used to have a Volvo 120E clearing the snow outside my house. That is about the biggest you can legally use on public roads here in Sweden.
Lol, reminds me of an episode of Top Gear when Hammond drove a 24 tonne Case Quad Track Tractor into a village to buy lunch....a Ploughman's lunch of course.
I have a neighbour who runs his old 1980's Cat 980 over the road between dump sites, quite the sound when he gears down going up the hill!
We get away with murder around here. It is not uncommon to see 988b's going down the road. I know I've run 631e's all over town followed by a couple of 769 rock trucks. A few years back one of the pits in town had an old old 992 loader. On some early Sunday mornings you would see that thing trucking down the road to the next pit?? For what it's worth though, I did get pulled over last year in a JD backhoe for having my back lights on:beatsme. Just depends on who you get..
Leagaly or what you can get away with? One guy told me he got an overweight ticket for roading a Volvo 120. :beatsme We have gotten away with some good ones around here. Like the time my grandpa coulden't get the farmall 400 started, so they pulled it to the shop (tractor and disc) behind the 120 grader, and the disk was raised just enough so that it still drug a little and made some sparks, not to mention the scraches in the asphalt.:Banghead Or taking the D6s down the rail road right of way to get to the golf course (when we were building it, not to use instead of a cart ) And then there was the time that I roaded the 235 down about a mile of state higway to get to our shale pit, on easter weekend nonetheless. That would have been a tough one to explain to the cops. :bash
Did he go over a low rated bridge? Because if you move it on a lowbed your not overweight. I had to walk my 345 about a mile to get it into a tight neighborhood to do a deep sewer repair. It was hairy, did it early sunday morning with 2 cop details so when the neighbors started to hallar the cops got em to shut up.
i don't know how it is in other places... but out here roading a loader is no big deal at all. some loaders basically live on the road and never touch a lowbed... Loaders work so much on snow removal in the winter which means LOTS of driving all around the city... The best way to get tickets in a loader is to: A.) Drive with your back-up lights on B.) Drive in a lane other than the curb lane on a multi-laned highway. The company I work for has been around since 1923, I think at one point of their history in the 50s or 60s they drove 966s so far on road from city to city that the operators stayed in hotels along the way... At least thats what the old guys say.
WOW! I drove mine 30 miles because up here we can't run lowbeds over the road when there is snow pack. I thought that was rough, because it was when I was starting out and had junk boxes.
as long as its registered, I don't think it matters. I would say an escort vehicle would be smart. we moved our 980GII 966H and 966F all in a row for almost 30 miles a few weeks back. had one of our pick-ups follow with the strobes on. no issues
In parts of the USA you have to register equipment to travel on the road, correct? That is so weird to me, seems we do things very differently here. I've seen pictures of loaders, graders and rubber tired hoes with license plates, how common is that in the states or is it more common in Europe? The only loader I have ever had to drive behind with a pickup was a 988F when I worked for Peter Kiewit. Other than that, I've driven up to 966H on the highway before with no escort or pilot or whatever, but it's very common to see 980s on the road with no truck, just today I saw a 970F (probably returning from snow removal) on my daily commute with no pilot vehicle. I honestly do not see the need for one as long as the operator is experienced and the machine is smaller than a 988, but I'm not against their use. Always pays to cover your rear end!
i dont think an escort is required. ive run our 980 over the rd by myself plenty of times. and yes, we have plates on all our loaders, rubber tire excavators, backhoes and graders
In 1986/87 we roaded Cat 992C's up and down I-70 in New Jersey. Took the buckets off is all. These were rented machines from a sand and gravel outfit about forty miles away. We used them at Stewartsville Dam. We roaded Cat 992C's from Hellertown to Easton, Pa., too. Left the buckets on those. Just ran them right along some back roads, along with ten Cat 777B's. Also ran some Cat 631E's the same route. Roaded Cat 651's on state highways in Wyoming and Colorado several times. Had to laugh in Colorado. State scale guys flagged one over near Grand Junction and had us run it up on their portable scales. That was the end of both of those very expensive scales. They wanted us to pay for them, but like we said, they were the ones that directed those 51's on the scales, not us. Poor scales were mashed completely flat. We couldn't road after that untill we made sure scale guys weren't around.
d4c24a, what town is that and who did the scraper belong too. Looks like it was in the 60's. In those days and right up to the early 70's it was probably more common to move scrapers and trucks from site to site under their own steam than it was to transport them. Where abouts in the UK are you from?
I'm not sure on size anymore but if yer roading any machine with air brakes in Chicago, you better have a CDL with air. Windsheild time pays the same.
60,s hi ldk i do not know where the picture was taken ,but as you say i would say the 60,s as well i am in a little town called hook just outside of basingstoke ,and 30 mins from london it a nice little place how about you cheers graham
Hi Graham, I have never done any work round your area that I can think of but I did use to work for a company that came from Basingstoke, Micky Pearce. They folded in the 70's, I think he went over to the UAE and was doing some work over there. I originaly came from Licolnshire but moved around the UK a lot on different projects. I have been working overseas for the last 20 + years and I am now based in Patagonia, Argentina. I am still travelling, it's a hard habit to break! Russell
I have personally wheeled a 980C through Edmonton from our shop to a jobsite on a friday afternoon, let's just say thats not really a fun ride in traffic, especially when the loader hasnt left the shop in awhile because it has "issues" no one can solve. I have seen our company driving 5 657E's down a 2 lane road from one site to another, only a few miles, but when your wheelin the 710 Deere backhoe behind em... those 57's look massive. I have seen our 966's on the road plenty of times, one guy carried a 4m long piece of 48" sewer pipe from their site to ours on the road with a 966F which was an interesting site to see. And I wheeled that same loader carrying a 14000lb bucket for a 375 the next weekend albeit not very far. And last year in a small town we were workin in just outside edmonton... I was known to have stolen the WA450 Komatsu loader to burn over to the 7/11 to get a slurpee for me and the packer girl... gas is expensive, company diesel is free. And the look you get from the guy at the store is priceless.
micky pearce hi LDK i spoke to my girlfreinds dad who work for rocons basingstoke ,he remembers the name ,did he run some motor scrapers etc you are getting to see a fair bit of the world traveling about i had a short stint working abroad but it did not last long with a young family at home ,once the novelty had worn off ,it was not for me: cheers graham
Yes, he had TS 24, TS14 and ¨631B scrapers. Where abouts were you working overseas?
When i lived in Las Vegas i took a Case 580L right down the strip, that was fun. Lay the cutting edge down when coming to a stop and watch the people in cars freak out...:falldownlaugh
In 1970s we used to move TS-24s by road, sometimes in travelling pairs with no escorts, sometimes with. Safety issues were less of a concern back then and Terex scraper brakes were never all that flash either!! This was in South-East Queensland, Australia..........C ya........Ray
volo 40 haul trucks just take them any were, never been stopped
What'd you have no brakes? My first few loaders were like that.
Having an escort is a pain. Backs cars up even more cause they wont pass 2 vehicles most the time. I like running alone so I dont have to worry about the guy following me and I can cut threw were ever I can. I hate the dummys that try to pass you when oncoming traffic is right in front of them. Even worse is when they see it and you run the yellow line so they cant pass you and they still try. Me personally, I keep a close eye on the traffic behind me and whats coming ahead. Even more so on the hills that I can see over they can't. Last thing I wanna see is a collision from some one trying to pass me or cut me off.
the biggest thing i have ran on the road is a 988b in the middle of the night, we went about 5 or 6 miles across town to a small train derailment.
777 Going down the road Well I stand corrected. This is the biggest thing I've done to date. Three 777D Cat rock trucks down the road. It was only about a 4 mile move but I loved every minute of it. This was the first time I had ever got to drive a truck this big. I was in the middle truck snapping pics. as fast as I could and trying not to run off the road. :usa
That looks so wild! I'll bet if the cop car got enough speed, he could slide right under that rear axle.
A couple of months ago I had to drive a Clark 20,000 lb. forklift for 8 miles up to a jobsite. We couldn't haul it on a trailer because the top of the mast is already 14' 6" off the ground. So I picked an early Sunday morning and away I went. I had already laid out the route which would avoid low overpasses and stay off city streets as much as possible. One thing I can say is that I located every cable and phone line along that route that hangs lower than 14' 6"!
a few years ago we had our years worth of dangerous goods show up which included alot of blasting materials so we used our fleet of Terex 40 ton trucks to move them. One went off the road but thank heavens it was a-mix and not volitile. we trucked them on a saturday and sunday to keep off the radar. It must have been 20 kms round trip or more.
naw just for fun.....
I haven't ever seen anything like that!! The biggest I have ever seen on the road is a Caterpillar 140H!
Biggest loader we've ever ran down the road was a 970F that was fun
The lads at the Super Pit drive their haul trucks down the main street........maybe not everyday http://www1.superpit.com.au/pages/photo.asp?thisPage=4&Keyword=#
I have roaded a 966, 627F and a Quad trac with an Ashland scraper
lol !
Back in the 70's I drove a Clark 290 scraper with blade on the front over 100 miles on a 2 lane US highway while in the military. That was fun.
When our lowbed got hit by a train we roaded our 980G and 988F the 988 went down the highway
Would love to know any info you have of this picture ? The scrape carries a Cornish registration although I'm not 100% sure I recognise the location.
The company I work for roads all our non-tracked equipment. Our 980g's, 318m's, 710g's, 140h's are all registered with in-transit plates, and all perfectly legal. I have also seen other companies road 988g's and 769's, but those were really early morning runs.
Roading machines In California the rule is 20k per axle, so I would say a Cat 938 would be the largest legally to drive on the pavement & you need to get an SE plate. I have talked to many old time scraper operators & it was common in San Diego to drive scrapers job to job. The rule of thumb was do not use your brakes on the job site "save them for the street". They use to take an old tire and squeeze it in the apror door & leave some hanging below the cutting edge to use as a brake in emergency situations. Most of these were Dw20/Dw21's This photo is from Hanks truck picutes. Dug
I have roaded a wa 600 wheel loader with a 13 yard bucket in winnipeg manitoba to a couple shoping centres to load out huge piles of snow. now that was fun in city traffic
In the early nineties,a small company I worked for in mining,used to drive the D8Hs from job to job . We were out in the West Australian bush & I often drove the 8H beside the (blacktop) road's edge for a couple of mile to get from one mine to the other....often for only a few hours work. One of our younger blokes drove the 8H for 7 hours to one job,thru the bush. I often had to drive a 966E about 30 KLM to get to another minesite. You learn a lot about the machine when driving over vast distances....plus you also get to learn about native animals,trees,pot-holes,bulldust & boredom..!
Well, in SA, we have a GCM of 57 tons. Not sure if it only applies to trucks, but hey, its still pretty cool.
M.C. Pierce Ltd. Hello LDK. I noticed that you worked for Micky Pierce. My Dad John Lovejoy and my Uncle Alan Lovejoy worked for M.C. Pierce Earthmoving back in the 1960's & early 1970's out of the main yard at Willoughby Road, Bracknell. My Dad drove the low loader and Alan was the Transport Manager. My first memories of travelling with my Dad was in the low loader and I remember that M.C. Pierce had a big fleet of earthmoving equipment back in the heyday's of motorway construction. Both my Dad and Uncle left before Mick moved his plant out to UAE and started their own haulage company. I have looked all over the internet for old photos of any of his equipment but sadly they have disappeared along with the memory of this once big player in the earthmoving world, the only photo's I have are of the low loader fresh out the paint shop at the Bracknell yard which is great shame as all the equipment looked good in the yellow with the bull emblem. Back in the day my Dad moved all the D9's & D8's & boxes with the low loader but I remember squeezing in the cab of Cat motor scrapers out of Levertons at Windsor and bringing them back to Bracknell. All the Cat & Euclid scrapers travelled by road back then and as a youngster it was an amazing sight watching them roar off in a cloud of black smoke.... Great days!! All the best Boyze
There's a guy around here that runs his 7H all over the country. Before that, he ran his dad's 7G that had been purchased new. Never saw a lowboy until the first set of rails were worn out. That's how it went until he got the H a few years ago. I'll bet that that 7G has 100,000 miles on it.
I run the farm loader all over the roads during baling season. Deere 6430 with a loader, the baler, and two diller 20' wagons in tow. Its probably pushing 90' in length. If you want to pass me on a 2 lane, you'd better mean it . I get flipped off all the time. As long as I keep the orange triangles on it, local cops just wave.
The sand mine across from me roads 980 H/Ks, WA500s, and 740B's on a daily basis from their wet plant to the dry plant, maybe a mile and a half trip. Asphalt county highway though, in rural Wisconsin. The Amish buggy's going the other way get a little bit skittish though...