Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

6v92 & 8v92 interchangeability

Hallback ยท 2023-12-22 22:55

So the old twin steer that I bought a few years ago has a 6v92 in it, It stuck a valve and broke the rocker stand in the head casting. I've got an 8v92 sitting here in the old westcoaster yarder. Would I be able to yank a head off that 8V92 and put it on the 6V?

Replies61
  1. #1crane operator2023-12-22 23:02

    No, you need a 6v92 head, if you had a 12v92 around- you could steal one off it. The 6v92 head shouldn't be hard to come by, there's still a lot out there.

  2. #2kshansen2023-12-23 08:18

    The "6" and "8" refers to the number of cylinders and the "92" refers to the displacement of each cylinder. Same holds true for all the Detroits from the "53", "71", "92", "110" and "149"

  3. #3crane operator2023-12-23 08:24

    Or you could spare yourself the heartache and go ahead and repower it. I can't keep heads in my 6v92. High flow Big cam, air to water cooled 3406B.

  4. #4Vetech632023-12-23 09:34

    Is the head not repairable?

  5. #51693TA2023-12-23 09:53

    You cannot do that any longer having sent all your DDA tools over to TS.....

  6. #6Hallback2023-12-24 20:26

    And that is why I figured I could interchange the heads

  7. #7Hallback2023-12-24 20:27

    Trying to put a 3406 in a steel fendered A model is a bitch

  8. #8Hallback2023-12-24 20:27

    I figured it would have been much easier just to swap it out

  9. #91693TA2023-12-24 20:41

    I feel, (but don't really know) you'd be hard pressed to find a cylinder head compressor these days to install a 8V-92 cylinder head onto a 6V-92 cylinder block. Same thing to install a 6V head onto an 8V block with an appropriate cylinder head stretcher.

  10. #10Hallback2023-12-24 20:53

    I believe they're individual heads per cyl.

  11. #11OzDozer2023-12-24 20:58

    Nope, just a quick Google search for "image" of a 6V-92 shows you Detroit 2 cycle engines utilise a one-piece cylinder head. Detroit Diesel 6V92 Long Block | Turbo Intercool Engines | Diesel Pro Power in Australia Detroit Diesel 6V92 Long Block for Turbo Intercooled Engines. We have the lowest prices and fast assembly. Try Diesel Pro today. dieselpro.com

  12. #12Vetech632023-12-24 21:00

    A single cylinder head for a 6v92 will be for 3 cylinders. An 8v92 will be for 4 cylinders. If you have individual cylinder heads for each cylinder, then it isnt a 2 stroke Detroit

  13. #13Truck Shop2023-12-24 21:10

    Don't worry Hallback your in good hands-every expert salt water chevy man has answered your prayers. I put return to sender on those wonderful items vetech flapped over. Call Hagerman Salvage, but there should be a source for a replacement head in your area. 6V92's were real common. There are heads all over in a wide range of price online.

  14. #14Hallback2023-12-24 21:40

    Thanks TS! Hope you have a Merry Christmas buddy and all is well over there.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2023-12-24 22:54

    10 out of 10 9.5 out of 10 for originally I may have laughed way to much at this

  16. #161693TA2023-12-24 23:46

    They were after all, the "Two Stroke Joke". Humor is easy sometimes; and all good. Thanks,

  17. #17Hallback2023-12-24 23:47

    People laugh at the Detroit but those are the best engines to ever be installed in a yarder.

  18. #18OzDozer2023-12-25 03:13

    Don't forget so much WW2 equipment only got to its destination because they were powered by Jimmys - landing craft especially - and quite a bit of armor, too. Mind you, the drivers and riders all ended up deaf, but at least they got there! And they automatically covered themselves with oil to prevent corrosion. How brilliant an idea is that!

  19. #191693TA2023-12-25 07:10

    I actually like them. Maintained many over the years and still have a 3-53, 8V-71, 6V-92TA, and a 12V-71T at the shop. I use the International truck with the 92TA as my yard horse as the truck around it is no longer road worthy, but it runs well. TS would think he'd died and went to a happier place if he ever came over here..... Wouldn't even need to be too worried as I have a varied selection of DDA tooling around to take care of them also. He could even start right away: Got a freshly rebuilt set of fuel injectors to install into this engine I just haven't made time for yet. Got a lopey idle for about 30 seconds upon cold start wanting to address.

  20. #20crane operator2023-12-25 07:25

    "no other engine can have as much wrong with it, and still get you home"- is my favorite detroit quote. I've had better luck with my inline 6-71 than 6v92. It doesn't make the power, but its been much more reliable. I imagine the quick throttle response is what makes a detroit nice in the yarder? My 6-71 always tended to wet stack in the crane when doing to much idling. A trip down the road after a week long job- always tended to take a bit to burn the oil out of the exhaust. But that 6-71 was nice from the upper if you were in a hurry. What have you ended up using the twin steer for? If I recall, it was just bare frame last time I saw pictures of it.

  21. #21Vetech632023-12-25 08:08

    I have a no return policy............only applies to the Northwest part of the country.

  22. #221693TA2023-12-25 08:25

    One of the best standby power generation engines, (IMO). Maintained many of them in that service and the two stroke engines are the smoothest/cleanest in frequency output through the windings I've seen without additional filtering/conditioning.

  23. #23Truck Shop2023-12-25 08:31

    I know the route drivers-any suspicious packages return to midwest-the great fly over. * Great as a stationary but for vehicles not so much---The only reason one buys a Salt Water Chevy--they were too cheap to buy a Cat or Cummins. Two strokes are the King of Obsolete.

  24. #24Truck Shop2023-12-25 08:49

    There is some truth to that----This 1979 Piece of **** Two Story Ford shot through two Double OO 92's before it had a Silver transplanted. Double OO's were crank breaking pos's, really the engine that caused Detroits sales to drop to 4% in early eighties. * Anywho---Steve Fischer a friend of mine long since gone, drove this POS below from Buttonwillow at the bottom of the Grapevine on the northside, to Emerson Diesel in Seattle with a broken crank. Over a thousand miles. *

  25. #25Hallback2023-12-25 08:50

    I think what makes them so great for yarding applications is they're extremely durable, if you keep them wet they will run. They make more RPM and so you'll get faster yarding speeds while they have enough torque down low to get the turn broken free of the bed & moving up the hill.

  26. #26Junkyard2023-12-25 12:30

    My current inventory is only a complete low hour 8v71. Or a 2-71 lol. If I recall Vetech has robbed and returned parts off the 8v71 lol.

  27. #27Truck Shop2023-12-25 12:38

    Ah ha-caught him transporting obsolete parts across county lines, he's in big trouble.

  28. #28lg junior2023-12-25 22:47

    Haulback, if you need 6v92 heads I have a pair. Been on the shelf for quite a few years have injectors jake brakes and aluminum valve covers.

  29. #29Hallback2023-12-25 23:46

    That would be awesome as I need to get this damn thing going, where are you located at?

  30. #30lg junior2023-12-25 23:58

    Springfield oregon

  31. #31Truck Shop2023-12-26 02:08

    Knew something would pop up.

  32. #32Hallback2023-12-26 07:55

    Perfect! Check and see what all you have and find out how much you want for it and PM me with your contact info

  33. #33petepilot2023-12-26 17:00

    Only engine I know of that would run backwards to get the job done

  34. #34Welder Dave2023-12-26 18:43

    You could have 18 speeds in reverse running the engine backwards.

  35. #35Truck Shop2023-12-26 21:53

    Still a two stroke.

  36. #36Hallback2023-12-26 22:12

    Jimmy and I have a lot in common!

  37. #37Truck Shop2023-12-26 22:14
  38. #38Acoals2023-12-27 17:40

    The M113 APC; there are thousands of them around the world, and most are Detroit powered. A lot of them have gone to Ukraine, Field repair:

  39. #39Truck Shop2023-12-27 18:04

    That's good i'm glad those are spread out around the world, everyone needs a little misery. No sense in keeping it all to ourselves.

  40. #40Welder Dave2023-12-27 18:23

    Even pulled out it looks a PIA to work on. Lots of stuff to pull off just to get at anything internal. Hopefully any in the Ukraine won't need anything other than regular maintenance.

  41. #41Hallback2023-12-27 18:34

    Hopefully any of them in Ukraine detonate upon turning the key!

  42. #42Acoals2023-12-27 18:45

    Well, looks like they are past "regular maintenance" in that pic already . . .

  43. #43Welder Dave2023-12-27 18:46

    Russia invading the Ukraine is just wrong. Hopefully the war is over soon. Putin and his advisors didn't count on Ukraine putting up such a strong fight. Bombing hospitals, apartment buildings and schools full of women and children should be considered war crimes.

  44. #44Welder Dave2023-12-27 18:48

    I'm thinking that's not a pic. from Ukraine.

  45. #45Acoals2023-12-27 18:49

    Yes, it is. Ukraine's new Bradley Fighting Vehicles face damage and quick repairs The Ukrainian commander of the Bradley infantry fighting vehicle was unloading troops at the front and then planned to transport three injured soldiers back to a field hospital. "But in that one minute, you suddenly have 30, 40, 50 shells flying in - everything explodes, soil is flying around... www.spokesman.com

  46. #46Welder Dave2023-12-27 19:39

    It was damaged from shrapnel so it's not the same as a mechanical failure.

  47. #47cfherrman2023-12-27 19:44

    I couldn't give two pennies about Ukraine or that place in the middle east. I couldn't think of a better power plant for an old apc though, those things run when they shouldn't.

  48. #48Welder Dave2023-12-27 20:25

    There are a lot of people in Canada with friends and relatives in the Ukraine. Since the war in Isreal they don't mention the war in Ukraine much. There are some really sick people in the world that get off killing innocent people.

  49. #49Hallback2023-12-28 22:23

    I don't give two ***** about any of those countries over there and we shouldn't be providing one nickel to any of them over there. If they want to kill each other, good, have fun, play games with people all you want. Just don't take a nickel of my money and send over there to countries that I do not care about.

  50. #50Hallback2023-12-28 22:25

    I'm sick and tired of my money going over there to support a country that hates the United States. Ukraine hates America yet they have their hand out for every nickel they can get from us. Absolutely disgusting. Nothing but a welfare rat country

  51. #51Welder Dave2023-12-28 22:30

    Wow!

  52. #52Acoals2023-12-28 23:09

    I have been to Ukraine twice and have friends from there. No, they don't hate us, contrary to propaganda that members may have consumed . . .

  53. #53Birken Vogt2023-12-28 23:41

    My church denomination has a major Ukranian group that has been active for decades. Also they have a Russian group as well. I have met many of them when they were allowed to visit the US. I'm as right wing as they come, but the anti Ukraine thing seems to be just because each party in this country thinks whatever the other party is doing at the time is wrong. Whether or not it is. Seems like the opposite is happening with the Israel thing right now. I just hope we do not have another Neville Chamberlain moment as this goes on. My humble apology to the OP of this thread.

  54. #54Welder Dave2023-12-28 23:42

    If Putin was allowed to just waltz in and take Ukraine who's next, Poland? There's a good reason all the Nato countries are backing Ukraine. It's not going to affect the general population in these countries. One thing the Russian invasion did was make other countries realize they need to keep up with their military commitments. If I recall Germany doubled their military budget. Most people from Russia are against the invasion but can't speak up for fear of going to jail. People from Russia living here have to be very cautious as well because they have relatives and friends in Russia who could face retaliation from Putin's govt. Putin is a mad man that has to be stopped. I'm hoping the reports he has serious medical issues is correct.

  55. #55Hallback2023-12-29 07:49

    Well that's great, if you support them so much send your money over there. I don't want a nickel of my money going over there and I have two friends that have wives that defacted from Ukraine and both of them say that the majority there in fact hate us.

  56. #56Acoals2023-12-29 08:17

    Well, I have not sent a nickel to Ukraine, and neither have you. There are a lot of very good reasons to oppose Russia the way we have in Ukraine, but this not being the appropriate forum for that discussion, I will sign off of this thread before the moderators show up . . .

  57. #571693TA2023-12-29 08:24

    Thank you.

  58. #58Hallback2023-12-29 09:53

    Well you're the one that started to stick your nose in it and bring this up. I don't know if you pay taxes or not but I do and a shitload of our tax money has gone over there. You know you can hop a plane and go over there if you love them more than America but there are a lot of people in America that need our help far before some other country. Keep voting blue and see what it does for you.

  59. #591693TA2023-12-29 10:01

    Time for the thread to close. Slewed too far from original quest which was addressed.

  60. #60Delmer2023-12-29 10:05

    This has to be the first thread that veered OFF Detroits, instead of veered into Detroits.

  61. #61CM19952023-12-29 10:29

    Thread closed.