It was built in 2017 but it is not a def burner. Looking to see if this is able to be exported from Canada to the United States. Sorry for the poor quality photos but those are what were forwarded to me.
Swap valve covers lol
If this one won't fly that's what will happen
Talk to T-Mar, about what the options are. Aussies put on-machine hydrogen generation to assist the diesel burn to help the emissions nonsense. https://hydi.com.au/ Even years ago when the old engines were crossing the borders it was a good idea to have undamaged/ new information stickers on the engine. 2023 - About having an independent commercial importer for non-conforming items(equipment).(sounds like a trap) CBP Customer Service https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/learn-about-importing-vehicles-and-engines
Where are you going to get a sticker?
That's the easy part.
Anybody with some entry level software and a sticker printer could produce one. My cousin produces all sorts of crazy stuff with her sticker printer machine for other people without much of an investment.
Also curious on this import question. There is enough red tape bull around this EPA crap. I was under the impression that any equipment using an engine installed before an emission law was implemented did not have to worry about it but does that also apply if your importing that equipment? Or does anyone have a good contact to call with these type of questions?
Whatever you import has to meet the emissions regulations for that country for that year
who is actually going to check? Is there an alphabet agency in charge of making sure it’s compliant? doesn‘t canada have to play by the same rules?
I don't think it will work as- is. In my limited experience with importing. Caterpillar – Diesel Engine Decals dieselenginedecals.com
They most definitely do check at the border
Depends. Cross it in WA for "a job" and probably wouldn't get much pushback.
I know guys that have tried that and it bit them in the ass badly.
How hard is it to find a C9 valve cover to borrow? I'd be careful about making my own sticker, that could bite pretty bad also.
Is it the build date of the machine or the engine that matters? I would assume the machine.
Build date of the machine and the engine has to be that date or newer emission standards
When did DEF start showing up. I dont remember when our first showed up but had to be 6-8 years ago right?
Some machines were using it as early as 2011. The cat 568 didn't start using it until 2022
There was a lot of companies that had a transition period they were given exemption from the new regs called TPEM. Might take some digging but if that CAT engine was part of the program in 2017 in the US you might be able to bring one in.
Actually got the clearance today to bring it in about 10:00 this morning and then received a call at 2:30 this afternoon saying another guy had a signed purchase order on it Friday and he will have it funded tomorrow. We signed our purchase order for it on Monday so needless to say we are SOL.
When signing on Monday, nobody informed you about the prior PO from Friday?
No they didn't and that's what was really weird but the more I find out about it there was a guy that rolled his 120 off of the low bed up there Tuesday and boogered it up really bad. Needs a boom and cab etc. He's allegedly the one that signed on Friday for this log champ. Seems a little fishy doesn't it?
My guess is Great West is juicing this guy for an extra $100,000 or something to slip into their pocket all the while putting the grease to me since I'm just a lowly customer down here in the northwest not their neighbor in Canada
This does sound a little odd. It's the timing of transactions that's off to me.
I know it doesn't sound fair and probably isn't but if a guy is regular good customer and the next fellow is a one time walk in most outfits will probably bend over backward to get their regular guy up and running with something. We always did that. I know it's not fair but look at it from the other side. If you were a regular and in a jam and they helped you out they would be the best guys in the world in your eyes and I bet your next piece of machinery would come out of their shop. I agree not very fair though. d.d.
It’s who you know! Must be nice!
Exactly.
That's all fine and dandy until a lawsuit comes down on them and unfortunately for them there's already enough evidence and enough witnesses that can corroborate the timelines and their violation of the purchase order. The owner of the yarder called me today and said the same thing. That's the wonderful thing about age as it generally comes with wisdom. 20 years ago I would have crossed the border and handled it personally. Now, I love to litigate.
Well fair or not, it's illegal what they did. That's the reason you sign a purchase order, so we have first right of refusal. I'm not going to let this one slide and they're going to feel the effects of it for sure.
Really dumb question that only a Canadian could answer; is what they did illegal? It is here in the US, but what about Canada?
I will know Monday
I can't imagine the complications of cross border litigation. Surely there's some obscure fine print that gives them a way out of the deal in the paperwork? Especially if the other buyer's money cleared first. Wouldn't it be simpler to just let it go and look for a different one? Is the equipment that rare? (I have no idea if its that rare, and I'm just curious) I guess I'd rather let it go, and know that they aren't someone I want to do business with. Vs. if they called you today, and wanted to still go through with the deal? I don't know that I would want to still purchase from them after being jacked around. So was this deal closer to a real estate transaction? Where there's earnest money put in, you sort your financing, and if another buyer shows up- you are supposed to get 24 hours to come up with the money or you lose it? Right of first refusal? I'm not sure I've ever seen right of first refusal unless there's a healthy deposit involved. I've had customers send me a PO when scheduling work, but I've never really looked at their paperwork. If the crane didn't get done on Monday for someone else, and they've booked for tuesday, it still isn't happening, regardless if they sent me a PO or not. I've never thought I could be sued to make the "deal" still happen. So from the sellers side, they've got someone cross border who may have importation issues, and to their knowledge financing issues. (You hadn't given them any $$ and weren't sure you could get it across the border?). Vs. a in Canada deal with someone they know and is their customer? I don't know how all the paperwork looks, but as the seller I'm not sure I'm going with your offer. But I could be persuaded the other way, if I had more info. Either way, I'm glad you posted about it, I've always looked at both canadian and european cranes when the dollar exchange is in my favor, and I've always chickened out because I didn't want to deal with that much hassle, for the small money savings. I've imported parts before, that has always gone pretty well, but I've had the sellers deal with the cross border issues. I've missed out on equipment before, and it sucks when you've got plans and this is a missing piece of the puzzle. And I think my crane equipment is a little more available and a lot less specialized than yarders. Hope you can get it sorted out.
The bottom line is the broker and the guy that is pulling the fast one with them have been stringing the owner of the machine along and jerking him around as well and now did it to me also. There are no other log champ 550s for sale that are complete ready to go as a turnkey package like that one is. It's not for anything but the principle, I could mother#$?k them all day long but once they are served with legal paperwork they're going to know that they can't just go around skimming people like this to get an extra few dollars when the market is bad. When the economy takes a downturn like it has this is when you really find out who the scum of the pond is.
What are you thinking now? 124 or maybe a 355? Or try fighting this and maybe get the 550
I have two 124s lined up if this falls through. Also there is a new 650 log champ at AB equipment in New Zealand but that only has a tier 3 engine in it. Evidently they didn't have to have tier 4 final in their equipment down there in 2022. The yarder is 1.9 million and I can get it a T4 c13 cat for $80,000 bucks so with transport and engine swap I would be in it probably 2 million bucks USD. It's a pretty big decision to make but I'm definitely going to fight this deal on the log champ If for no or other reason but to make them miserable.
The 124 with the 60 series in NZ on Trade Me looked like a tidy machine. I think he is asking 1.9 Nz. With the exchange and some talks you might get a good deal. I am currently talking to Shaws about doing some work on a machine down there and sending it this way. Shipping is looking to be 60-70k US and I don’t think you could get better work for cheaper than what Shaws does with the strength of the currency exchange.
where you loggin' at these days ?
Dale Ewers owns the 124 you're speaking of on trade me, him and I are good friends and he absolutely would make me a good deal on it. What machine are you looking at that Jonny has?
Also the quote I got for shipping on an Active 60 three months ago was $29,000 from Auckland to the Port of Tacoma
We still have operations on the coast but the swinger is going to Idaho.
He doesn’t have the machine. I have been talking to Carey about the details of moving and transport. It’s the 80 that went down there from the factory. The landowner I work for wants a taller tube to tackle some big holes but doesn’t have a great road system. We currently have a couple 70s so having similar drum sets and same rigging seemed like a good idea.
I've got a TY-80 for you If you're interested in it, it's got a tilting cab and is in good shape. Just finished up a job with it last week
I am interested. Would like to know more.i will shoot you a message with my contact info so we don’t have to clog up the forum.
Found a 124B in NZ. It'll be coming up for sale in the next few weeks and I'll have more info and price by then.
awesome! Hope it comes together. I was told the RORO shipping might pick back up in the spring from NZ. Just sucks to wait for that. I am headed up in the morning to check out the machine you told me about. Thanks again!
Nice!
Purchase Orders are a legal document in Canada. But they are often treated as a invitation to negotiation. Keep us informed Hallback ( if you can) on the outcome.
I will for sure Dom, this isn't going to go away or get swept under the rug. I'm sick and tired of the little guy always being walked on and taken advantage of because they think we won't do anything about it.
I just found out today the axles the auction gave away for $10, the trailer shop next door to where they came from would have bid up $800ea. for them but never got the chance. I had a reserve on them the idiot never even looked at. They were unused 10K torsion axles with hyd. brakes. The backing plates and brakes were worth $250 a side. The complete axles were worth about $3500. I wish I would have known the other shop was interested when I went to find out how the axles were basically stolen. I should have insisted they get the axles back or gone straight to court. No excuse at all for a screw up like this, none! Even their list had them highlighted as having a reserve price.
Are these log champ yarder axles?
No. I was referring to getting taken advantage of and people thinking they can get away with it.
I got a call yesterday afternoon on my way back from Idaho that this log champ 550 is back up for sale now. Evidently the man that purchased it got his quota cut by 50% for 2024 and his paid for 120 is repaired by insurance. I'm waiting to see what his price on it is and if he's going to try to pull something shifty
I should have said the 120 that he crashed off the lowbed was repaired and paid for by insurance.
Yes. It's registered under the EPA transition program