Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

6v92 unidentifiable part

_Weldman_ ยท 2019-08-27 23:35

Trying to figure out what this aluminum housing is between the water pump and the accessory pulley that is like the timing cover and where I could find one. This one appears to be at the end of its saltwater life.

Replies5
  1. #1RZucker2019-08-27 23:55

    Waterpump drive housing. I think it's the same housing on a V-71 engine too.

  2. #2_Weldman_2019-08-28 01:18

    That leads to just water pumps, this damn thing is a dinosaur on finding parts as such. Looks to be a special piece that will need to be pulled from a dead engine.

  3. #3John C.2019-08-28 09:44

    I seem to recall a tach drive coming off something like that on industrial engines. A raw water pump on a boat makes sense as well.

  4. #4kshansen2019-08-28 11:25

    It sure does look like the same part used on the V-71 engines! I don't have a 92 parts book but in the 71 book they show 3 or 4 different covers. Some had a hole where that circle is in the center and there was a short shaft attached to the front of the gear that drives the water pump and there was a generator pulley mounted to that on some of our engines. Some just used an expansion plug to fill the hole if not needed and some had a small steel cover that bolted over the hole and others were made with the hole not bored out. Attached is the page out of the 92 manual on the cover:

  5. #5_Weldman_2019-08-28 15:14

    And we have a winner, found one only 120 miles up the road on eBay. Thanks I needed this!!!