Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some people get lucky

RZucker · 2019-08-26 22:44

Got to the shop this morning and there's a truck sitting outside the door, note on the shop door says "loss of boost". So I pull it in and start checking boots on the air to air lines. This is an '06 Pete with a C-15 MXS "double trouble" twin turbo setup. Oh, the wastegate arm on the high pressure turbo is broken off... So I start pulling the turbo, no sign of the wastegate flapper inside... UH OH. where did it go and what did it damage? Pulled off the low pressure turbo and looked in the turbine side, fins were all there undamaged. I finally found it in the very top of the turbine housing about 1/16" from destroying the impeller. Some careful work with a cotter pin hook dislodged it and it fell right out, low pressure turbo is good to go again.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2019-08-27 09:57

    Or twice the opportunity to make money if you are into repairing them....

  2. #2DB22019-08-27 11:10

    I’m sure most stealers would have said both turbos were ruined and charged accordingly.

  3. #3DMiller2019-08-27 13:04

    Sometimes YOU eat the Bear!!

  4. #4RZucker2019-08-27 20:27

    Parts guy at the cathouse told me I should do both of them.

  5. #5td25c2019-08-27 21:28

    We had a customer call about his 9600 Ford tractor . Pulling great then all the sudden " Zing ! " , engine fell down & black cloud of smoke rolled out the stack . Thank God he shut her down in time . Yanked the turbo and the compressor nut was laying in the intake manifold . Man that Cat must have been living rite to get that lucky ! New turbo install and back to the field . http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/8/283-ford-9600.html

  6. #6RZucker2019-08-27 21:47

    I pulled the underbody muffler on a late 90's KW with a series 60 Detroit once and there were TWO turbo impellers in there. I was doing the third turbo... Turned out there was something stuck in the oil pressure relief valve? or something along that line. Been a few years.

  7. #7Nige2019-08-28 08:47

    I guess my question would be how many miles/hours had the 2nd turbo got on it compared to the failed one..? If the answer was "the same" and it was a pretty high number then personally I'd seriously consider replacing them both. Foolish not to and risk another failure I'd say.

  8. #8RZucker2019-08-28 19:57

    We did not have a turbo failure here. Turbos have 680K miles on them and both were in excellent condition. The only failure was the weld on the wastegate control arm. Original plan was to replace the hot housing with a new one with wastegate, but given the choice of a reman unit in 1.5 hours vs 4 days to get the housing the truck owner went for the reman unit. TBH the entire reman unit wasn't much more in price than a new housing, plus the possibility of breaking something separating the old housing from the cartridge.

  9. #9Nige2019-08-29 02:42

    What would you consider to be the normal average life on those turbos..? Just doing some rough calculations in my head. 680k divided by 30mph as an average speed would equal almost 23,000 operating hours. Drop the average speed to 20mph and the life goes up to 34k hours. In my world that turbo would have been ready for the scrap bin long ago, probably around 16-20k hours. In some applications where fuel consumption is high the turbos would be changed at mid-life so 8-10k hours.

  10. #10walkerv2019-08-29 10:31

    Most of the fleets i have worked on use 45mph as the average , except the residential garbage trucks