Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

** 70 backhoe

arnold ยท 2010-10-16 20:06

Just bought 1978 ** 70 backhoe.The fiber gear ring that bolts it to the flywheel is broken in peices and the 8 bolts that bolt it to the flywheel were snaped off.I was told that the fiber gear ring will warp intime and then brake.What i would like to know is,is it comman for the bolts to snap off or maybe somethink else caused this arnold

Replies7
  1. #1Phil2010-10-18 21:50

    I'm guessing that's a Perkins engine? Not too familiar with ** hoes. Farm tractors probably used the same engine and if so there are tractor forums that might have more knowledge in that area, if you get no response here. Phil

  2. #2arnold2010-10-20 17:06

    yes ,it is a perkins A 4.318.Ithink farm tractors are different,only the ** 70 and 80 use the same setup ,the fiber ring gear bolted to the flywheel.Was hopeing someone had one or worked on one thanks

  3. #3arnold2010-11-13 17:47

    replaced gear ring and now i have hydraulics, but have a new problem,the backhoe will not move,maybe someone can help me thanks

  4. #4rawaggon512014-05-10 10:54

    I have hydraulics and the only change made was a new filter on the transmission. Then the hoe would not move either direction. A person said that I have to prime the filter some way. Not sure how to do this the filter is horizontal. It is a perkins engine with a 2 speed auto tranny. Any suggestion would be appreciated. In the mean time I am trying to figure out how to prime the pump and filter. Thanks

  5. #5rawaggon512014-05-10 22:01

    Sorry I posted on the wrong thread about my backhoe. Please excuse me.

  6. #6gregs78cam2014-05-15 13:09

    Hey Arnold, did you ever get the thing moving again? And another question, Does your transmission still have the serial number tag on it? I think I am needing torque converter seals and I need the exact model number of the trans to order seals. I am told that it will be in the format of "_ _ HR 28_ _ _".

  7. #7nick222015-06-05 16:57

    hi Arnold, my ** 70 ring gear fiber is broken, where did you got your's pls, I am having a hard time to find pls help. thanks my number is 905 872 0123 thanks I am from Milton ontario