Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please look at my 580SE charging pump

pietru ยท 2010-10-16 15:28

Yeah so my 580SE wouldn't go reverse..actually it would but only at high RPM. I tough forward was fine but when I moved the machine closer to the garage to work on it I had a hard time going forward too. So I uninstalled the power shuttle, took it apart. I am not done yet but I have done most of the reverse part. The friction discs and metal discs all look fine and I have no broken springs. You must know that I have no experience whatsoever with this. I am thinking maybe my charging pump has a problem. Am I supposed to be able to move the shaft of the pump freely or is it normal that it won't move by hand? I took pictures and I hope you experts can tell me if you see any wear on the gear. Thank you in advance Pierre

Replies4
  1. #1Goose2010-10-16 16:36

    Did your tractor try to go forward with the shuttle in neutral? Usually this shuttle does not have a problem with reverse. The normal failure is in the forward clutch, which sometimes will lock up and prevent reverse from working well as it is trying to go forward at the same time but will also try to go forward in neutral. The shaft in the charge pump pictures does not rotate. The pump is driven by the tangs on the nose of the converter engaged with the gear inside the pump. I would suggest you pull the forward clutch apart and check the bellville spring. They have a bad habit of braking up and wedging in the housing and keeping the clutch engaged.

  2. #2pietru2010-10-16 18:20

    No it didn't but something I noticed is that the shuttle arm to engage forward or reverse was not going as far in the forward position as it used to go. I could only go a little past neutral to go forward. It worked but didn't feel right. The arm used to go all the way forward. If I knew any better then, I would have checked the linkage first.

  3. #3grandpa2010-10-16 18:26

    Pump looks fine to me.

  4. #4gggraham2010-10-16 23:42

    Hey I'm with Goose on this. Usually forward clutch belleville washer breaks up. Typical symptom is no power in forward and will not reverse. That said in forward the engine would rev up but no movement. In reverse the engine would lug because forward is partially engaged and reverse is fully engaged. A pressure check at the shuttle would let you know if you had a good or bad pump.