Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

700h cranking issues

Midwayretriever · 2019-09-29 10:13

Machine roughly 6200 hrs. Been running fine. Starts every time until lately. Acting like losing prime. Turns over like it should but Won’t start without shot of starting fluid. Runs fine after. Not throwing any codes currently. Was told this was a sign of injection pump on way out. Any experience with this? Or do I need to look elsewhere first?

Replies8
  1. #102Dmax2019-09-29 14:24

    I'd start with cheap/simple stuff like changing the fuel filters, making sure the tank is clean, and checking the lift pump to make sure it's not where your issue is. Most injection pumps need a certain amount of supply pressure to them before the engine will start. It could be something as simple as a loose fitting or cracked hose.

  2. #2Treetop2019-09-29 19:37

    Check fuel cap, if the vent on the cap gets plugged it creates a vacuum in the tank. I've had it happen to me.

  3. #3Midwayretriever2019-09-29 20:58

    I thought about lift pump. First time it had trouble, primed it by hand and cranked right up . After running for a while I could shut it off and crank it right back up . After about a week I couldn’t do that anymore. Filters are fresh, and did check the fuel cap. Boiled it for about an hour. Made sure I could move the vent a little bit. Thanks for replies so far

  4. #4thepumpguysc2019-09-30 08:57

    I would def. start w/ the lift pump, just by your description..

  5. #5Midwayretriever2019-10-07 08:04

    Will do. Thanks for replies. Any small springs/parts going to come flying out into the pasture when I pull it off? Any special tricks to install?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2019-10-07 10:10

    Nope.. just a lever on the back side that activates off a lobe.. simple take off & bolt on job. or "plug & play" as they say..

  7. #7Midwayretriever2019-10-08 21:22

    Y’all were right. New lift pump, new life. Thank you for all the help

  8. #8thepumpguysc2019-10-09 11:41

    Good deal.. glad it was something simple & not costly..