Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D4C dying

Varnell1980 · 2019-09-29 18:56

So yesterday I was running my dozer, after pushing some dirt down a little hill, I put it in reverse and it sounded like it went under a big load and died. I would turn the key to start it and it would turn over once and stop. I hooked up the charger to it overnight and when I got up this morning it started right up. I got on it and put it in reverse and it did the same thing again. I opened the hydraulic fluid thinking that maybe it was a little low and sitting on a hill took fluid away from it, so I unscrewed the cap and a lot of air came out. After that it started up just fine and ran for about 30 minutes then bogged down and stopped again. After opening the cap again and it hissing a lot of air and fluid out, it ran just fine again for about an hour and did the same thing again. This time opening the cap didn’t help. It still only turns over once when trying to start it. It seems that the motor is under a lot of pressure. Is this a transmission fluid problem or hydraulic fluid problem or maybe the fuel system pressurizing?! Please help!! Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1Ronsii2019-09-29 19:41

    I think pressure in the tank is pretty normal.... how long since the fuel filter was changed?

  2. #2Tyler d4c2019-09-29 19:42

    Need the serial

  3. #3Varnell19802019-09-30 05:49
  4. #4kshansen2019-09-30 08:32

    Any chance of getting a video of it running then stalling out? Would have to post it to YouTube then post a link here. When you say it is "coming under a load" is the engine smoking? I'm assuming you have checked all fluids. As Ronsii asked when was fuel filters changed last? And any other service work done.

  5. #5Varnell19802019-09-30 08:51

    It has been so random when it stalls out. When it stalls its almost like when you put hydraulics of any piece of machinery under too much of a load and it dies. Then when I try to start it back, it just turns over one time and stops like the engine still has a huge load on it and the engine doesn’t smoke when doing it. The engine oil and hydraulic fluid are good. I haven’t checked the tranny fluid yet and I’m gonna change the fuel filter today. And I might go ahead and change the hydraulic filter.