Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

70ish, 580 CK fuel problems

miller873 ยท 2021-12-15 21:35

I have a mid 70's Case 580 CK. I can't get it to start unless I blow in the fuel tank first. After I do that it will usually start and run fine (after a few coughs) until I shut it down again. I found a cracked rubber fuel line between the tank and the filters and replaced that. Thought it was maybe sucking air. Didn't help. Changed fuel filters and bled them. Blew into tank with exhaust side of shop vac until bubbles quit coming out of top of top fuel filter. Started right up, coughed a little and then let it run for about 30 minutes. Shut it down and then it wouldn't start. Next I took the input fuel line loose from the injection pump. It had a compression fitting with some type of hard black ferrule that had completely fallen apart so maybe it was sucking air there. Now I am trying to figure out what kind of ferrule that I need to replace the old one. If there is an air leak between the tank and the pump I would assume it would also leak fuel but I hadn't notice any leaks. Any suggestions on what to try next and what kind of ferrule that it could be. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-12-15 21:56

    Welcome to HEF, Miller873 ! You may need to take the fuel shut-off valve (#18) out of the tank and clean it. # 19 is typical grommet in the fuel and injection lines. Those ferrules- Case calls them sleeves or grommets-- get brittle over time and disintegrate just like you described. Any CNH or Case Construction dealer can get them for you. Do you have the service manual and parts books ?

  2. #2miller8732021-12-15 22:02

    I don't have service manual or parts book. Do have a Case dealer here. I drained all the fuel out of the tank because it was pretty old and there was a solid stream of fuel through the shut off valve. Do you still think I should take the fuel shut off out and clean it. Could the injection pump be pulling air in where the bad ferrule was at? I will go to Case tomorrow and get a replacement. When it cranks but doesn't start I don't get any white smoke out of the exhaust. BTW Thanks for the quick response and help. I really appreciate it!

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-12-15 22:11

    From your description there prolly isn't any reason to fool around with the shutoff valve. It may be a good idea to replace all of those ferrules. They aren't very expensive. Hopefully (thepumpguysc) who is the HEF injection pump guru will read this and help you with the starting problem. Be sure the fuel tank filler cap vent isn't plugged and causing a vacuum to form in the fuel tank as a result of that. Go to this web-site and select the manuals you need. Thanks to the good people at Minnparr they are free !! https://www.minnpar.com/manuals3.aspx?FName=CASE (CNH) MANUALS&SFName=CNH (CASE) LOADER BACKHOE MANUALS

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2021-12-15 22:11

    Are you talking about the rubber seals that are on the line?

  5. #5miller8732021-12-16 10:37

    I don't know if it was rubber or not. It was hard and falling apart. Could have been rubber at one time. It was in the compression fitting on the inlet side of the injector pump. It is a Stanadyne pump. Going to Case dealer today to see if I can get one. Also, going to take the inlet screen out and see if it is clogged up with bits of the deteriorated ferrule. Thanks for your input.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-12-16 11:55

    Check the filter in the injection pump. # 14.

  7. #7miller8732021-12-16 20:10

    Thanks, I took the assembly out today and it was clean. I went to Case and got the new sleeves to put in the compression fitting but they gave me the wrong size. Back tomorrow to get the right ones. Going to replace the sleeves on the tank cut off and the injector inlet and see if that helps. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.