Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

710 D John Deere Backhoe

gmb32 ยท 2016-01-06 14:21

Has anyone had experience with this model? what are strengths and weaknesses? Does anyone have experience adding air conditioning to this model? Thanks gmb32

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2016-01-06 15:54

    I think "goldknight" had a 710, B maybe. Rebuilt the powershift transmission, but I can't remember if he posted back with the final outcome. I think lantraxco has told the sad story of what can happen when something starts making metal bits in a JD combined transmission/hydraulic/brakes/steering system. I'm not positive if that one is combined or separate hydraulic reservoir from the transmission? The transmission can get pricey if it ever needs work, check the screen and filters for black chunks before buying it, or get an oil sample, cheaper and far easier than draining the fluid. A solid backhoe, but a little big and awkward for a backhoe.

  2. #2Deon2016-01-06 19:31

    I looked at one a couple years ago. It is massive. Everything is super heavy duty. The machine weights 23,000 lbs and the loader bucket hold about 2 yards. I think the engine has 6 cylinders. You would need lots of space to use it and lots of $ to keep the fuel tank full. I would like to play with one but at someone else's expense. lol.

  3. #3gmb322016-01-07 13:31

    Thanks for the replies! Does anyone know of a person in the west St Louis area who could inspect and pull fluids and test for a fee?

  4. #4Roddd2016-01-07 17:03

    I'd call a Deere dealer, they can probably send a technician out to look it over and take samples. Cat does it, I don't see why Deere wouldn't. It's money well spent in my book.

  5. #5El Hombre2016-01-08 16:09

    700 series machines from any source are really good if you have tough digging. If it's just sand, clay, loam, just about anything will dig. But if you have volcanic ash and lava like I do, you have to have something that is really heavy so it doesn't slide around when you're trying to break up a lava flow or hardened ash. My 5550/750 sized Ford weighs 10 tons, I can lift a 4000lb boulder with the thumb, with the long boom and dig-more I can work down slope without actually having to get the machine on a slope. I have 7 acres, so I have the room to use it; somebody on a couple of acres would probably like something in a 400 or 500 size. I rented a Ford 555 and spent two hours trying to pick apart a lava rock, only made smoke and sparks from the bucket skipping over the rock. The big hoe took it apart in 20 minutes....

  6. #6Goldknight2016-01-10 01:33

    My 710B is running great and moves perfectly. Unless there is mud then she sinks and is a Pain to get out. What can you do? 2wd. I will be getting some chains for the rear tires and hope that helps. The 710D has many upgrades from the B model, The engine would have no issue running a AC compressor along with every thing else. They do like there fuel. I can burn 20 gallon on a hard day of work.

  7. #7Delmer2016-01-10 10:20

    Good to hear it's running. Did you have to replace the "clutch" disk or whatever they call it? Haven't you mastered the crab walk with the backhoe? Once you break the surface and stir up the mud 2wd is useless, but the loader bucket, stabilizers and backhoe should get you out of just about anything with a firm bottom.

  8. #8Gonzalez2024-03-02 02:27

    Is anybody know how much the transmission of 710b John Deere backhoe weight

  9. #9mg23612024-03-02 06:55

    Approximately 820 lbs. (372 kg).

  10. #10Gonzalez2024-03-03 00:30

    Thank you