Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

72 Allis Chalmers 816 backhoe transmission problems

John Morneault ยท 2018-11-14 22:31

Hey guys so I recently picked up an old 816 really cheap! She ran but wouldn't move. The guy who had it ran it without a dipstick on the reverser trans. So it filled up with all kinds of crap lol . Ive flushed it out several times now and thd pickup screen is now coming up pretty clean. So I got it moving. Until recently. It started acting funny in forward. Like it was slipping. Someone on another forum recommended that I change the fluid to hytrans. I had dextron in it .Reverse still works fine. I waited a day and tried it again after switching fluid. Started it thd next day and it didnt want to go forward. I reved it up a bit and in slammed in. I ran it for a good 30-40 min spreading some millings in a driveway. Ran great! Worked as it should no problems. Shut her down and went to lunch. Came back 30 min later and nothing. Wont move an inch. I let her cool overnight and tried again tonight still wont move. Reverse works fine. Any ideas? I really dont wanna pull the tranny if I dont have to .

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2018-11-14 23:05

    To get help on this site, you're probably going to have to figure out who made the reverser. If AC made it, then I'd suggest reading through the search results, not the search function here, but there were plenty that came up here and on other sites. If anybody but Allis Chalmers made the reverser, then there's a better chance of getting an answer here. Even searching for reversers only working in reverse might give you some directions to look. They're not that different between the different brands, that's the last resort though.

  2. #2motoOzarks2018-11-15 21:50

    https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/816-forward-reverse-shuttle-stopped-working_topic151896.html