Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

730A champion transmission question

wally57 · 2013-09-09 16:27

I have a 84 730A Champion motor grader that 5th gear is slipping. I have someone lined up to pull the transmission and rebuild but it appears there is not enough room to drop the transmission down and get it under the frame of the machine. Should be jack the machine up and block it or pull the cab and take the transmission up? Thanks Wally

Replies15
  1. #1Z28982013-09-09 17:23

    With the old 740A's with the 8150 Gearco transmission I use to put the machine in the air with blocks under the wheels and drop the transmission down onto the forks of a forklift and then wiggle it out. Was not a pleasant task. The newer machines had a smaller transmission. Sounds like you have the older unit to me.

  2. #2wally572013-11-26 15:11

    Thanks for your reply and sorry it took so long to get back to this. We did exactly what you described and it worked out as well as it could. Another question for someone that knows this gearco transmission. We had a guy come pull the transmission and rebuild it. HE had a hard time finding some of the parts but it is back in place. The problem is 5th gear is still slipping. Is there something else we should be checking? Thanks Wally

  3. #3GregD12013-12-08 10:33

    Yeah, pressure for 5th gear clutch pack. If memory is correct you should be able to plug into the end caps for every clutch pack and determine where your problem is.

  4. #4plowking7402013-12-08 11:32

    I had a 91 740a champ and had the same problem, and for me it was easier to just lift the whole machine up. blocked it all around with jack stands and rail road ties. cant remember exactly how high it went up but 18 to 24 inches comes to mind. we lowered the transmission down on a trans jack and the rolled it out under the LH side of the cab. hope this helps

  5. #5delio lorenzana2013-12-09 10:34

    Hello I’m might coming little bet later. In an 8400 Champion transmission prior to remove the case you should identify the problem? Every time you engage a gear there are three cloches engaged in a sequence. In front of the transmission you have the shafts caps and three orifices in each cap You have to install the gages and run the transmission with the wheels up in the air to find out which clutch it is fault? To remove the case you jack the grader with your blade and put block under the tires about 20 cm high and that’s will do. For parts contact us in Ontario Canada, we will supply everything included a rebuilt transmission if you what too? www.jadeequipment.com 5th gear forward cloches engaged A-C-H, Pressure should be 215-235 PSI. Rgds. Delio

  6. #6wally572013-12-09 14:04

    Had a chance to use the machine this morning to clean up our streets of little bit of snow. When I first started using it 5th gear seemed good. By time I was done (4 hrs) 5th was slipping alot. It seemed once 5th gear engaged is everything was fine but once I had to back up and them go forward it would slip. If I put it in 4th and got things moving and bumped it into 5th it seemed to work alright. The mechanic is suppose to give me a call later today so I will see what he suggests. Thanks for all of the help Wally

  7. #7delio lorenzana2013-12-10 08:44

    Hello There is a text to be done in your grader, when a clutch failure it happened. 1. Turn the moldboard left, close to the cab door; leave a safe space batwing the blade edge and tandem tires. 2. Jack the grader up with blade till tandem wheels are free to run. 3. Set engine RPM at 1800 4. Press the clutch and go in 1st gear forward and release the pedal slowly for the wheel to move. 5. Press the brake pedal till engine come to stall and release the pedal, that’s tell you the clutches for above gear are working fine. 6. Carry on the process with all gears, when a clutch sleep out the engine will continue to run normally, that’s means the clutch selected it is wrong. 7. Clutch packages engaged in 5th A-C-H ; Going in reverse gear clutch’s are R-C-H 8. Clutch packages engaged in 4th B-D-L. 9. Its look to me that you have some trouble in Clutch C? May be the solenoid cartridge Rgds Delio

  8. #8wally572013-12-11 15:19

    I have not done any checking on the machine yet but let me add this to see if it makes sense to anyone. I used the machine again today to move snow. When the machine is cold 5th gear will work fine. The longer I use it the worse 5th gear gets. The clutch packs have been replace when the transmission was rebuilt so I know it is not that. It appears as the fluid in the transmission thins from warming 5th gear slips more. Does that make any sense to anyone? Wally

  9. #9delio lorenzana2013-12-11 17:31

    Install a pressure gauge in Clutch C with a long pipe to get it inside the cab and go to work. Read gauge when temperature it is cold and after? (When its happens) You could have a valve cartridge spool mal function? Give me your e-mail address and I will copy you some information on Friday. Rgds Delio

  10. #10wally572013-12-12 09:04

    Good Morning I have a quick question - if my problem is with clutch C how come 6th gear works fine which also uses the C clutch? Would it make any sense that my problem may be with clutch A which is activated with all the odd numbered gears? Clutch A would be energized with solenoid 1` correct? Thanks Wally

  11. #11delio lorenzana2013-12-12 15:48

    I will write to you tomorrow and copy the 8400 Hyd. circuit,etc.

  12. #12Z28982013-12-19 09:19

    Hey Wally, I just came back to see how things were going. Here's something to consider. When transmission oil is cold it is thick. Of course thin when it warms up. Sounds like when trans is cold and 5th engages the thick oil doesn't leak as easily out of the 5th speed clutch and pressure against piston is maintained. As it warms up the leak gets worse and pressure in the clutch goes down. I would almost bet that the piston seal on 5th speed clutch is damaged and will not maintain pressure on piston when oil warms up. If it was me I would find a hole that feeds that piston and pressurize that port with air pressure, "machine off" and listen closely at the transmission breather hole for escaping air. If it is really leaking badly you will hear air escaping from the piston seal. Be sure to warm the machine before you do this. If you hear alot of air escaping that piston seal needs to be replaced. Cheers Z

  13. #13Championized2014-01-02 19:51

    Sorry that I'm so late to this thread but the OP states that he has a 1984 730A. That grader may not have an 8400 transmission. It could have a 9150 if it is a power shift. Or it could have a 9138 with a power range shift. 1984 was the year everything was changing over at Champion and if memory serves me correctly they went Cummins in '84 and 8400 transmission in '85. If it is a 9150 it may have a torque converter or a clutch.

  14. #14[email protected]2024-03-25 08:29

    Hello there, We've a Champion 740 (Series I). The machine the using the manual transmission with two sticks. I trust the transmission is Gearco 9135. We need some oil seals for both input and output drive shafts. Can someone kindly assist with information on the dimensions of the seals. Also kindly suggest where they could be bought. My regards.

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-03-27 03:16

    You should start a new thread but try Jade Equipment.