Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

735 Cat rock truck vibration

Mobiltech ยท 2014-06-07 18:18

I am working on a 735 Sn AWR00710. It has a heavy vibration in the engine or trans that is very noticeable even without moving the machine. It does it torque stalled too. It's not the cooling fan. It changes with engine speed and can be felt at idle too. Anyone ever run into this on a 735? It has 6000 hrs. On it I'm wondering About the Spring coupler in front of the torque.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2014-06-07 19:21

    What type of crankshaft vibration damper does it have, rubber or viscous..? The viscous ones I've seen leaking occasionally. I assume you've checked front and rear engine mounts for hardware and mount condition..? Injector maybe..? The truck is early 2004 vintage and there was a PSP for REPLACING THE SLEEVE BEARING IN THE TORQUE CONVERTER SHAFT published in late 2004. Not sure if that truck was even affected or if it was if it ever got done. Other than that I think my money would be on the coupling.

  2. #2Mobiltech2014-06-07 20:20

    It has a viscous damper and it looks good no leaks no dents not loose. Engine seems fine injector wise and the vibration doesn't go away on deceleration. Motor mounts look good bolts are tight and no hoses or other parts of engine rubbing the frame. I did see that letter on the sleeve bearing but I didn't see this sn affected. It is a possibility. Thanks for your input Nige. I have heard of the coupling failing but I don't know what the symptoms were.

  3. #3Nige2014-06-07 20:49

    I have very little hands on experience with ADTs, so I'm clutching at straws a bit. I couldn't see the SN affected under the program for the sleeve bearing, but you never know. Now couplings on 16Ms, that's a whole different story....... I know the motor mounts appear good but have you tried jacking the engine..?

  4. #4Mobiltech2014-08-06 00:03

    I thought I would update this for anyone who might have a similar problem. I removed the trans and found there had been a previous failure of the allen head bolts in the flex plate coming loose and falling out. This caused the centering pilot on the torque converter to wear down and it was reassembled out of alignment causing the vibration. I reassembled with a new pilot and the vibration is gone.

  5. #5Nige2014-08-06 07:30

    That sounds very similar to the bolt issue on the flex plate of early 16Ms. Obviously because the grader doesn't have a converter there would not be a similar issue .................. or maybe that's what could have been taking grader transmissions out, or at least a contributing factor...?

  6. #6big ben2014-08-06 11:53

    Wow good find. Thanks for taking the time to update as it always good to hear when strange problems get resolved. Going to store that one in ol' memory bank. :drinkup

  7. #7overworked2014-08-06 13:22

    Do you know how long ago the coupling bolts were changed? Was it vibrating since that repair? thanks

  8. #8Mobiltech2014-08-06 14:14

    The machine just came into my area from pretty far away. I would say it did vibrate since the bolt failure because the torque would be out of alignment from assembly. I think the repair was recent.