Hello All, I have an old Case 480B with the gas engine G148b that I recently had to pull out to have the crankshaft turned, new bearings, etc. So I am getting ready to put the engine back together with the help of my mechanic BIL, and I was told I need to find out how to properly time the crankshaft to the camshaft. If anyone has any insight or experience with this I would really appreciate it. Thank you all for the help; can't wait to get my old friend running again.
I seem to think there is dots on both gears, if the crank gear has been removed it takes a shim/thrust washer behind it I seem to also recall. Install the crank with some good lube, and place the lifters in the bores, turn the crank so the rod for #1 would be straight up in the bore tdc. Lube the cam and bushings and work it into the bore gently and install the retainer ( gear will have to be worked into the crank gear if still on the cam ) If you look at the first two lobes on the cam for #1 cylinder the lowest part of the lobes will also be in line with the lifter bottoms and you will either see the dots lining up or keyways, crank keyway up and cam key way up. Hopefully Mel or someone with a book can give you some better info. Once it is together your timing is static at 5*atdc and running at 25* at 1750 rpm, points at .020, plugs .025, dwell at 70*, valves at intake .014, exhaust .020 cold and hot at .014. Like i said it's been a long time and hopefully someone will have some better info for you to get started.