Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’74 Cummins NH 230 TOP END ADJUSTMENT

charles walton · 2022-09-17 16:05

My old Dodge has this ol 230 in it and I was replacing the crossover tubes between the 1-2 heads and I want to adjust the valves and injectors but I don't know whether to use the inner base circle or the outer base circle method. Can someone lead me in the right direction,thanks

Replies42
  1. #1mekanik2022-09-17 17:34

    Either method will work. The outer base circle method 75 in-lb on the injectors and intakes are .014" and exhaust .027" Inner base circle method injectors are .170" dial indicator and intake valves are .011" and exhausts are .023"

  2. #2charles walton2022-09-17 20:12

    I'm a little ashamed to ask this,but how do I tell if I'm on the right stroke to adjust everything with the torque method?

  3. #3mekanik2022-09-18 07:45

    Roll the engine until the mark on the accessory drive lines up with the pointer on the cover. The injector on the cylinder to be adjusted will be compressed and both valves should have lash.

  4. #4cfherrman2022-09-18 10:01

    Scroll down about halfway, for the nh engine as well HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5DMiller2022-09-18 11:50

    Alwasy start at B or 2-5VS as will run all the one end cylinders then swap to the other end of the boxes. Made it less confusing when showed others how to run a OH.

  6. #6Truck Shop2022-09-18 12:07

    That's a good way hands on but trying to explain on here is confusing. Better to just roll through starting at #1-A and bar through firing order.

  7. #7charles walton2022-09-18 13:29

    Here's where I'm at and I ask ya'll to excuse my ignorance, ok, I had the box off of 1-2 to change the crossover o-rings and I decided to run the OH and I can't figure out for sure which stroke I'm on. While I was at the A mark,the exhaust rocker on 6 was loose but not the intake,next I went to B and the 5 rockers would barely move and I wasn't sure so I rolled on to C and the 3 rockers I can wiggle a little and the 4 exhaust is loose,so I'm still scratching my head with a big question mark.

  8. #8Truck Shop2022-09-18 13:48

    It's alright---Bar engine back around to A and look for the loose exhaust rocker on #6 and tight intake. Install the rocker box on the front two cylinders making sure push tubes are correct in cam followers and rockers. Just torque to 15 ft lbs, check rockers on #1 cylinder-you will find both have clearance. That will tell you that it's on the compression stroke. Finish by torqueing to 70 ft lbs. On the compression stroke of #1 cylinder the rockers will have clearance and #6 cylinder one rocker will be tight. On the compression stroke of #6 cylinder the rockers will have clearance and #1 cylinder one rocker will be tight. Just the reverse.

  9. #9Truck Shop2022-09-18 14:02

    #1-A--VS--#1 cylinder valves closed rockers loose and #6 cylinder valve will be tight, adjust valves on #1 #5-B--VS--#5 cylinder valves closed rockers loose and #2 cylinder valve will be tight, adjust valves on #5 #3-C--VS--#3 cylinder valves closed rockers loose and #4 cylinder valve will be tight, adjust valves on #3 After #3-C/ the next stop is A again which is #6 cylinder which means you have bared the engine 360* from #1-A. #6-A--VS--#6 cylinder valves closed rockers loose and #1 cylinder valve will be tight, adjust valves on #6 #2-B--VS--#2 cylinder valves closed rockers loose and #5 cylinder valve will be tight, adjust valves on #2 #4-C--VS--#4 cylinder valves closed rockers loose and #3 cylinder valve will be tight, adjust valves on #4 Injectors are adjusted at same time on each cylinder that valves are adjusted on.

  10. #10charles walton2022-09-18 14:37

    Thank you so much,I think I can get it now.

  11. #11charles walton2022-09-20 19:45

    72 inch lbs, on the injectors,right?

  12. #12Truck Shop2022-09-20 20:19

    Correct.

  13. #13charles walton2022-09-20 20:37

    Thank you for your time and help.

  14. #14Truck Shop2022-09-20 21:33

    Welcome.

  15. #15charles walton2022-11-04 15:56

    So,I havn't had this truck on the road since I ran the overhead but it was running fine while I moved it around the place here loading some logs on it,I probably ran it 30 minutes or so. Today I was about to haul a load to the yard and it started knocking first and then skipping,I don't know how to check which cylinder is missing on these engines,I've only done that on CATs and I don't know what to think if I set the injectors wrong,or got some trash or what, any advise is much appreciated.

  16. #16Truck Shop2022-11-04 17:25

    Start cold, run your hand along exhaust manifold at each exhaust port, find the cold ones.

  17. #17charles walton2022-11-04 18:15

    could raw fuel come out the manifold at the cylinder that's missing? It looked like there was a leak from 5 or 6 and I thought it might be the crossover so I pulled the dogbox and looked and it wasn't coming from there.

  18. #18Truck Shop2022-11-04 18:30

    Yes. Check the pushrods are in-place for injectors and none are bent.

  19. #19charles walton2022-11-04 18:36

    It was running fine for a while. Wouldn't be skipping from first crankup if I had done something wrong. I did not go down the road but I drove it around here a little bit and it ran fine until today.

  20. #20Truck Shop2022-11-04 18:59

    You need to start somewhere so find which cylinder is running cold, then remove the rocker cover to that cylinder, check that the adjuster screw jam nut/nuts are tight and check the push tubes. It also could have gotten a piece of dirt in the fuel system and found it's way to a injector. Or injector failed. But check the push tubes first, if you have a bent one then something isn't right with your overhead adjustment. Best I can tell you from where I'm setting.

  21. #21charles walton2022-11-04 19:51

    Thanks,I'll try thats. If everything seems good and I need to pull an injector,how should I proceed? I did check some of the cylinders at the exhaust manifold today with a temp gun. How much difference should there be on the bad one?

  22. #22mekanik2022-11-04 20:31

    You did not miss tightening a lock nut on one of the adjustment screws? I have seen adjustment screws snap off from the lock nuts being over-tightened over the years. They failed after the engine went back in service after a top end adjustment not while being tightened.

  23. #23Truck Shop2022-11-04 20:33

    Normally that engine would idle at hot coolant temp of 180* and exhaust temp of give or take a few degrees {300*} at idle. So if you have one running 250* and less. Bar engine over till injector rocker lever is up on injector. Loosen injector adjuster jam nut, remove the injector lash screw and nut {careful not to drop in engine}, slid push tube to the side, flip rocker straight up. Remove the two 5/16 bolts on the injector hold down clamp {use magnet to remove screws} remove clamp. Use a heal bar/lady foot to catch lip of injector, rock the bar back lifting the injector. Reach in and lift injector out. You will need a injector copper brush to clean the injector copper in the head.

  24. #24Truck Shop2022-11-04 20:35

    I noted a loose jam nut above but that does happen to the adjustment screws, those can snap.

  25. #25charles walton2022-11-04 20:46

    I might not have gotten one tight enough but I'm not usually guilty of over torqueing.

  26. #26charles walton2022-11-04 20:55

    Will the injector lever be up at the same time the valve rockers are loose?

  27. #27Truck Shop2022-11-04 21:12

    Not necessarily, it's just going to make removing the adjuster screw easier with sliding the push tube to the side.

  28. #28charles walton2022-11-07 18:10

    That’s exactly what I did, that explains why it was running good for a while and then started running erratic.

  29. #29charles walton2022-11-07 18:12

    Now I’m looking for advice on the order which I should get the lever straightened up.

  30. #30Truck Shop2022-11-07 18:26

    Remove the adjuster for the push tube slide push tube to side, tip rocker back and remove the crosshead. If it has no damage put it back inplace. Check the tops of valve stems, valve locks valve springs for damage. Reassemble in reverse, go back through the firing order that I posted to adjust that cylinder. But I would remove the push tube to make sure it's straight and no damage, putting it back in cam follower socket below. You can get this done, it's not hard you have already been through adjusting, and mistakes happen.

  31. #31charles walton2022-11-07 18:46

    Thanks, It was running great at first,it actually was even smoking less.

  32. #32charles walton2022-11-09 10:30

    One thing that I have noticed while rolling the engine around is that the intake valves on the cylinders that I'm checking I can barely get the.14 feeler under and they are not loose enough to feel anything when I try to shake the rocker,I can shake the exhaust a little. I was wondering if that's optimal adjustment or a tad too tight on the intake?

  33. #33mekanik2022-11-09 10:37

    The feeler gauge should slide through with a slight drag you should not have to force. It sounds like they are a bit too tight.

  34. #34charles walton2022-11-09 10:43

    Thanks,while I'm spinning it around to get 6 fixed I'm going to readjust them.

  35. #35charles walton2022-11-10 12:01

    Well,I cranked it up while ago and it was skipping so I pulled that valve cover back off and the intake rocker was not moving and it looks like the valves are closed. I checked everything yesterday and couldn't find any damage,don't know where to start.

  36. #36Truck Shop2022-11-10 13:30

    Did you make sure the pushrod/push tube was seated in the cam follower? And did you remove the intake push tube to inspect for damage?

  37. #37charles walton2022-11-10 14:01

    I removed the tube and it looked fine but I must not have gotten it back in right,not sure how to do it without pulling the rocker box I thought I had it in right but I guess not

  38. #38kshansen2022-11-10 14:19

    Not sure this will help or even make sense. But if you put a bit of oil on the ball end of the push rod and then lower it into the cam follower. Then try lifting it up easy just a little bit. If you did hit the socket of the cam follower you should be able to feel it kind of stick when trying to gently lifting it. It take a little trying to get so you can feel it but once you get the feeling it should be easy to know if it is seating in the socket and not some place else.

  39. #39Truck Shop2022-11-10 14:56

    Shine a light down in there while installing, when push rod is in the cam follower socket it will spin smooth with two fingers.

  40. #40charles walton2022-11-13 16:24

    I'm a little slow sometimes,flashlight really helped and she sounds right now,thanks for your help, and mekanik and kshansen.

  41. #41Truck Shop2022-11-13 17:54

    Your welcome.

  42. #42kshansen2022-11-14 09:14

    Hey any time I can in some small way help fix a piece of equipment without getting my hands dirty while sitting here in my comfy pants I'm glad to help!